Highlighted

Illustrator crashes when opening files

Explorer ,
Mar 29, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello

I have recently updated to adobe CC and everything has worked fine for the last month or so. Today i try to open files on illustrator and it instantly crashes. The program boots just fine, i can start a new file, i can open files i started today, but basically anything that was saved prior to yesterday will instant crash. I can go to the folder and double click the file - illustrator boots up, but as soon as it tries to open the file - instant crash. I can open illustrator and try to open files from within the program - instant crash. Ive tried uninstalling and reinstalling - no luck. Not sure what to do?

Comp Specs:

CPU - INTEL i7 9700k

GPU - Geforce 1060

ram - 32gb

asus z390 mobo

Windows 10 64bit pro

Using adobe cc with all updates

Hi all,

We understand how frustrating crashes can be. We have consolidated the most popular solutions that help in fixing these issues and also, how you can recover unsaved documents after a crash. Please check this help article for more details.

If you still need help, feel free to reach out, we'd be happy to help.

Regards,

Srishti

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Illustrator crashes when opening files

Explorer ,
Mar 29, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello

I have recently updated to adobe CC and everything has worked fine for the last month or so. Today i try to open files on illustrator and it instantly crashes. The program boots just fine, i can start a new file, i can open files i started today, but basically anything that was saved prior to yesterday will instant crash. I can go to the folder and double click the file - illustrator boots up, but as soon as it tries to open the file - instant crash. I can open illustrator and try to open files from within the program - instant crash. Ive tried uninstalling and reinstalling - no luck. Not sure what to do?

Comp Specs:

CPU - INTEL i7 9700k

GPU - Geforce 1060

ram - 32gb

asus z390 mobo

Windows 10 64bit pro

Using adobe cc with all updates

Hi all,

We understand how frustrating crashes can be. We have consolidated the most popular solutions that help in fixing these issues and also, how you can recover unsaved documents after a crash. Please check this help article for more details.

Regards,

Srishti

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Mar 29, 2019 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Mar 29, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you perhaps tell what has changed?

Did you move to a different network?

Changed the printer?

Installed or uninstalled a font?

Made an update?

Installed or uninstalled a plugin?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 29, 2019 0
Explorer ,
Mar 29, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

unfortunately nothing i can think of. Wednesday everything worked fine. Thursday it didnt work. There was no changes to hardware or software during that time.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 29, 2019 0
Mar 29, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Has there been a Windows update? They happen automatically with Win 10.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 29, 2019 0
New Here ,
Mar 30, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Illustrator looks like it just updated and keeps crashing whenever I try to open a file. Windows 10...

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 30, 2019 0
New Here ,
Mar 30, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It started working when I installed an earlier version.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 30, 2019 0
Explorer ,
Mar 31, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

well ive tried deleting old preference files and re installing. ive tried older version. ive tried rolling back windows 10 updates. Illustrator just doesnt work for me anymore.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 31, 2019 0
Apr 01, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please contact Customer Care. THey can login to your system and check this out:

Contact Customer Care

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 01, 2019 0
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 02, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Nick,

Sorry to hear about this issue. I am hopeful that the issue was fixed by the support team. If not, please check and let us know how Illustrator works in Safe Mode (https://support.microsoft.com/en-in/help/12376/windows-10-start-your-pc-in-safe-mode ) and Hidden admin account (How to enable the hidden Windows 10 administrator account - gHacks Tech News ).

Looking forward to your response.

Regards,

Srishti

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 02, 2019 0
Explorer ,
Apr 02, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Srishti

Since the problems started occurring i started using an older version of illustrator, which has been hit or miss, but ive been surviving.  I just reinstalled the most up to date version and tried your suggestions.

If i try to run the up to date Illustrator on my current user account - it basically crashes as soon as it opens. It doesnt matter how i try to open it, it crashes immediately.

I ran safe mode with network privileges so that i could access CC - i was able to open illustrator, i was able to open files from within illustrator, and i was able to right click files and "open with" illustrator. Each option was able to open illustrator and the file without issue - but as soon as i tried to move or manipulate anything it crashed.

I activated administrator account and tried that route. Illustrator worked without issue. I was able to open files any way i wanted, i was able to manipulate and edit files. No crashing.

Since illustrator is working on the administrator account - how do i narrow down the issue and correct it on my current user account?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 02, 2019 0
Explorer ,
Apr 03, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ahhh! got the illustrator update this morning - everything is back to normal and on track!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 03, 2019 0
Explorer ,
Apr 03, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ah i spoke too soon. Worked most of the day. Started acting up again. I can open files from their folder location, as long as its just one file at a time i can get it to work, but if i try to open multiple files it crashes. Pretty disappointing.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 03, 2019 0
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 04, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Nick,

I would request if you can please reach us at Contact Customer Care for a live troubleshooting session. In case you face any issue while initiating chat please refer to this link: How to initiate chat with Adobe Support?

Regards,

Srishti

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 04, 2019 0
Adobe Employee ,
Sep 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

Regards,

Srishti

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 15, 2020 0