Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Illustrator crashes when saving (PC)

Community Beginner ,
Oct 16, 2017 Oct 16, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi There,

I've been using CC for quite a while on my PC laptop, windows 10, everything seems fine. I'm always saving files on local drive.

Last Friday I don't know for what reason, all in a sudden I can't save any files in Illustrator, include .PDF, .AI, .EPS, which is terrible since I can't do my work anymore. I didn't do anything with my system before that.

I searched online but didn't get any solution can fix my issue,

I removed Illustrator and installed it again this morning but the issue still exists, I can't save anything.

And also, when I try to copy vector elements from AI to PS, and choose paste as vector file (smart object), PS also crashes.

The files are not saved after crash, and AI doesn't clean up the  temporary file as well.

And windows 10 doesn't give me any error code, only shows "Illustrator has stopped working".

My laptop is ASUS ROG G751J, with I7-4720HQ, 16GB ram, Geforce GTX 965M.

Can someone help me solving my problem? It's really anxious about it.

Thanks.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Beginner , Oct 16, 2017 Oct 16, 2017

Thanks, Jacob,

I was keeping re-installing and rebooting my computer, still couldn't save my files, I was so frustrated.

Finally I removed all the adobe programs:

1. uninstalled the software(PS, AI, AE, ID, AN, etc),

2. uninstalled the cloud,

3. delete all the adobe folders and files on my system drive, include hidden items in AppData

4. cleaned up the registry,

5. reboot the system,

6. and installed everything again, now it works fine.

Luckily I can keep my work now, but I'm still worrying if it will ha

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee , Sep 15, 2020 Sep 15, 2020

Hi all,

We understand how frustrating crashes can be. We have consolidated the most popular solutions that help in fixing these issues and also, how you can recover unsaved documents after a crash. Please check this help article for more details.

If you still need help, feel free to reach out, we'd be happy to help.

Regards,

Srishti

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is a printer connected, set up as default and turned on?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Monika, thank you for the quick response.

Yes, I had my office printer connected before, it worked well, after the issue happened I checked my print spooler (which is always on), and reconnect my default printer to Microsoft Print to PDF, but it still doesn't help.

And since I can't even copy any vector elements from AI to PS, is it something to do with dealing with vector particular?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you use any text in your designs? Are the fonts checked and OK?

Do you use any third party plugins?

Illustrator may cause issues with a variety of other software. What else is running? Something like Digital Guardian? Has caused some issues recently.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Monika,

I tried outlined all the text in the file, still can't save.

I can export it to jpg, but can't save as ai, pdf, eps files.

I don't have any third party plugin.

The only things running are Google Chrome, my Antivirus program, which doesn't help even I turned off.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There have been issues with locked/hidden layers.

Are all of your layers visible/unlocked?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Monika,

I checked, I used files without any hidden layers, still doesn't work.

And once I turn on Illustrator, there're 6 adobe CEP HTML engine in my processes, is it right?

I really don't know what's wrong with the software, T_T

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That doesn't sound right, but I don't know about WIndows.

Try and contact Customer Care. THey can log into your computer:

Contact Customer Care

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Monika,

I think it's the program's issue instead windows'

you can see it from another post:

CEPHtmlEngine.exe process causing Illustrator performance issues

I don't know if it matters to my AI saving issue, now I just want to figure out a way to save my AI files T_T

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

rikiy,

all in a sudden I can't save any files in Illustrator,

If things that should work simply refuse to (all possibilities exhausted including the A) - C) below (and carefully making sure you are performing (all) the needed things)), you may try (the relevant part(s) of) the list 1) - 6) below.

Sometimes, (certain) things may fail or stop working for no apparent reason. When the (other) possible reasons/cures fail to work, it may be some kind of (temporay or permanent) corruption, or even some inconvenient preference setting(s), which may be cured with something on the following list set up in an attempt to provide a catchall solution for otherwise unsolvable cases. It starts with a few easy and harmless suggestions 1) and 2) for milder cases, and goes on with two alternative ways 3) and 4) of resetting preferences to the defaults (easily but irreversibly and more laboriously but more thoroughly and also reversibly), then follows a list 5) of various other possibilities, and it ends with a full reinstallation 6). If no other suggestions work, or if no other suggestions appear, you may start on the list and decide how far to go and/or which may be relevant.

The following is a general list of things you may try when

A) The issue is not in a specific file,

B) You have a printer correctly installed, connected, and turned on if it is physical printer (you may use Adobe PDF/Acrobat Distiller as the default printer with no need to have a printer turned on, obviously you will need to specify when you actually need to print on paper), and

C) It is not caused by issues with opening a file from external media.

You may have tried/done some of them already; 1) and 2) are the easy ones for temporary strangenesses, and 3) and 4) are specifically aimed at possibly corrupt/inconvenient preferences); 5) is a list in itself, and 6) is the last resort.

If possible/applicable, you should save current artwork first, of course.

1) Close down Illy and open again;

2) Restart the computer (you may do that up to at least 5 times);

3) Close down Illy and press Ctrl+Alt+Shift/Cmd+Option+Shift during startup (easy but irreversible);

4) Move the folder (follow the link with that name) with Illy closed (more tedious but also more thorough and reversible), for CS3 - CC you may find the folder here:

https://helpx.adobe.com/illustrator/kb/preference-file-location-illustrator.html

5) Look through and try out the relevant among the Other options (follow the link with that name, Item 7) is a list of usual suspects among other applications that may disturb and confuse Illy, Item 15) applies to CC, CS6, and maybe CS5);

Even more seriously (this may be serious because you may need to restore plugins and whatnot afterwards if you have customized things), you may:

6) A) Uninstall (ticking the box to delete the preferences if applicable), B) run the Cleaner Tool (if you have CS3/CS4/CS5/CS6/CC), and C) reinstall. You may try without step B), but sometimes it is needed, because otherwise things may linger.

As it appears from this thread, it may be worth repeating this if it fails to help the first time:

https://forums.adobe.com/thread/2283530

To uninstall:

https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/search/index.cfm?loc=en_us&term=uninstall&cat=support&product=illustra...

Cleaner Tool:

http://www.adobe.com/support/contact/cscleanertool.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Jacob,

I was keeping re-installing and rebooting my computer, still couldn't save my files, I was so frustrated.

Finally I removed all the adobe programs:

1. uninstalled the software(PS, AI, AE, ID, AN, etc),

2. uninstalled the cloud,

3. delete all the adobe folders and files on my system drive, include hidden items in AppData

4. cleaned up the registry,

5. reboot the system,

6. and installed everything again, now it works fine.

Luckily I can keep my work now, but I'm still worrying if it will happen again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are welcome, rykiy, and thank you for sharing.

Frequent saves are good.

You can Place a File in the Creative Cloud Folder and save it, then the current saved file will be synced to the Cloud, and be safe:

https://helpx.adobe.com/creative-cloud/help/sync-files.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Sep 15, 2020 Sep 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi all,

We understand how frustrating crashes can be. We have consolidated the most popular solutions that help in fixing these issues and also, how you can recover unsaved documents after a crash. Please check this help article for more details.

If you still need help, feel free to reach out, we'd be happy to help.

Regards,

Srishti

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines