• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Illustrator crashes when scaling something proportionally

Community Beginner ,
Aug 29, 2020 Aug 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For whatever reason, Illustrator CC still keeps on crashing on me whenever I try to proportionally scale up grouped vector dandelion flowers I made. It doesn't crash often when I individually scale up a flower one by one, but the moment I group them to easily scale up them up proportionally, Illustrator will go down without fail. 

This is the only file that will crash Illustrator. It is also the only file where I more extensively make use of Stroke's "Dashed Line" affect and the "Charcoal Feather" texture than usual in my vector work. I'm pretty sure these effects are what's causing the crash, but I'm not sure why. I can sometimes scale the individual flowers that have these effects on without Illustrator crashing, but other times Illustrator does go down. 

I have updated Illustrator to the latest version, deleted and reformatted preferences dozens of times, and have restarted my computer multiple times. I cut and pasted the assets onto a new file with sized down artboards, thinking it might be a corrupted file problem, but it didn't work. I'm honestly at my wit's end trying to figure out what's going on.

TOPICS
Bug , Performance , Tools

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Aug 30, 2020 Aug 30, 2020

I figured it out! The leaf of the dandelion flower that had the Feather Stroke brush texture on it was freaking out my Illustrator CC for some reason. After remaking the leaf, Illustrator stopped crashing. 

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Aug 30, 2020 Aug 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

jyyun,

It may be worth pursuing the corrupted document approach a bit further:

You can start small and copy individual parts of the artwork over and see how far you can get without issues, possibly starting over with different artwork; and possibly redo ailing artwork.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Jacob, thank you for the suggestion, but I can say with certainty that it's not a corrupted file issue after experimenting some more. Illustrator only crashes when the Charcoal Feather brush stroke flowers are sized up, even on a separate new canvas.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I figured it out! The leaf of the dandelion flower that had the Feather Stroke brush texture on it was freaking out my Illustrator CC for some reason. After remaking the leaf, Illustrator stopped crashing. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 31, 2020 Aug 31, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

jyyoon,

That was exactly what I meant by "You can start small and copy individual parts of the artwork over and see how far you can get without issues, possibly starting over with different artwork; and possibly redo ailing artwork."

So now you have mended a corrupted document, and know how to deal with it; luckily it was only moderately corrupted.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines