• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Illustrator crashes while opening a particular file.

New Here ,
Jun 13, 2020 Jun 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I'm having trouble opening a particular AI file in Illustrator. Every time I try to open it Illustrator just crashes and quits then asks if I want to send a crash report. But it opens all other AI files fine.

I have tried opening it on a friends computer and it's fine, so they saved a new version and sent it to me but the issue remains.

I have tried reinstalling the app and turning off the GPU settings - but still no joy.

Am I able to try anything else?

Many thanks!

{Renamed by MOD}

TOPICS
Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Jun 13, 2020 Jun 13, 2020

Hi there,

Sorry to hear about this issue. I would need a few more details to look into this issue. For example:

• OS and version of Illustrator on your machine and your friend's machine.
  • Share crash logs by following these steps: https://helpx.adobe.com/in/illustrator/kb/crash-next-steps.html
    While submitting the crash report please use the same email address, with which you are signed in on this community. This will help us find the crash report and help accordingly.
  • Where the files are saved

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Adobe Employee ,
Jun 13, 2020 Jun 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi there,

Sorry to hear about this issue. I would need a few more details to look into this issue. For example:

• OS and version of Illustrator on your machine and your friend's machine.
  • Share crash logs by following these steps: https://helpx.adobe.com/in/illustrator/kb/crash-next-steps.html
    While submitting the crash report please use the same email address, with which you are signed in on this community. This will help us find the crash report and help accordingly.
  • Where the files are saved (Network Drive/ System HDD/ Shared Folder on System /External HDD)?
  • When did this start happening? Are there any recent changes made to your system? For example, any antivirus, system updates or web extensions installed recently..

You may also try resetting Illustrator preferences. Preference settings are saved each time you quit the application. Crashing and unexpected behavior in application can be caused due to corrupt/ damaged preferences. Please follow these steps and let us know how it goes:

For MAC

• Close all Adobe applications.
  • Go to locations
  • ~/Library/Caches
  • ~/Library/Application Support/Adobe
  • ~/Library/Preferences
  • Rename Adobe Illustrator, com.adobe.illustrator and Adobe Illustrator 24 Settings folders to Adobe Illustrator.old, com.adobe.illustrator.old and Adobe Illustrator 24 Settings.old
  • Launch Illustrator from the Creative Cloud.

For Windows

• Close all Adobe applications.
  • Go to Location C:\Users\user\AppData\Roaming\Adobe
  • Rename Adobe Illustrator and Adobe Illustrator 24 Settings folders to Adobe Illustrator.old and Adobe Illustrator 24 Settings.old
  • Launch Illustrator from the Creative Cloud.

Please note that resetting preferences will remove all the custom settings and Illustrator will launch with default settings. This way all your old settings will be saved in .old folders and Illustrator will recreate new folders with default settings.

You may also try steps shared in this help article and share your observations with us. We'd be happy to help.

Regards,

Srishti

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines