Highlighted

Illustrator crashing after CC2020 (v24.1.2) update on macOS 10.15.4

Community Beginner ,
Apr 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Illustrator 24.1.2 has broken Illustrator completely and now I can barely keep a file open for 10 minutes before it either completely crashes or some bizarre vector mayhem happens on my illustration. Please advise....

Operating on a Mac

OS Catalina 10.15.4

4.2 GHz Quadcore Intel i7

64 GB Memory

Radeon Pro 580 8GB Graphics

{Renamed by MOD}

Topics

Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Illustrator crashing after CC2020 (v24.1.2) update on macOS 10.15.4

Community Beginner ,
Apr 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Illustrator 24.1.2 has broken Illustrator completely and now I can barely keep a file open for 10 minutes before it either completely crashes or some bizarre vector mayhem happens on my illustration. Please advise....

Operating on a Mac

OS Catalina 10.15.4

4.2 GHz Quadcore Intel i7

64 GB Memory

Radeon Pro 580 8GB Graphics

{Renamed by MOD}

Topics

Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Adobe Employee ,
May 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Sorry to hear about your experience. Does it happen on a specific file or all?

You may try resetting the preferences once. Please try following the steps provided below:

• Close all Adobe applications. 
  • Go to locations 
  • ~/Library/Caches 
  • ~/Library/Application Support/Adobe 
  • ~/Library/Preferences 
  • Rename Adobe Illustrator, com.adobe.illustrator and Adobe Illustrator 24 Settings folders to Adobe Illustrator.old, com.adobe.illustrator.old and Adobe Illustrator 24 Settings.old 
  • Launch Illustrator from the Creative Cloud. 

**Please note that resetting preferences will remove all the custom settings and Illustrator will launch with default settings. This way all your old settings will be saved in .old folders and Illustrator will recreate new folders with default settings. 

Let us know if it helps.
You may also share the crash report in case of crash using the steps provided on help article https://helpx.adobe.com/in/illustrator/kb/crash-next-steps.html
Looking forward to your response.

Regards,

Ashutosh

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for all the notes above - I've attached a screenshot that shows what happens when I use the "divide" pathfinder that illustrates (pun intended) the kinds of issues I'm having with the program drawing simple vertices, etc.

The illustration/typography is completely outlined, including the stroke. On the left is pre-divide. On the right is post-divide. In theory, the illustration shouldn't appear different at all but, as you can see, a bunch of shapes drop out. When I "flatten transparency" it seems to work as divide should so, in essence, I have a workaround but this is a new issue, symptomatic of lots of little issues I have with manipulating illustrations. Also, the precision of these kinds of things is completely crazy... it creates tons of strange artifacts where the source material is very clean - especially around curves.

Screen Shot 2020-05-06 at 1.31.14 PM.png

[UPDATE] Illustrator has now crashed for the third time today. I was moving a relatively simple shape, not working with fonts. I have PSD files embedded and I'm working with transparencies on my illustrations, mocking illustrations over t-shirts with "screen" transparency.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines