• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Illustrator crashing while deleting effect

Community Beginner ,
Oct 30, 2020 Oct 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I cannot remove effects from any shapes because Illustrator crashes every time I try to remove it. This is not a random bug, this happens on every shape with every effect 100% of the time in every document. It is currently impossible to remove effects in Illustrator.

{Renamed by MOD}

TOPICS
Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Nov 17, 2020 Nov 17, 2020

Hi all,

Sorry about the trouble this issue has caused. We have been able to reproduce the issue and it is currently under investigation. 

Please upvote this issue here (https://illustrator.uservoice.com/forums/601447-illustrator-desktop-bugs/suggestions/41832787-drop-s...) and stay tuned for updates.

Regards,

Srishti

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Oct 30, 2020 Oct 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Which computer system? Which version of Adobe Illustrator?

Have you tried trashing Preferences? https://helpx.adobe.com/illustrator/using/setting-preferences.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 03, 2020 Nov 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Sorry to hear about this trouble. I am hopeful that the issue is resolved by the steps suggested above. If not, I would request if you could share a few more details like:

• Operating System (Exact version of Windows/ MAC) and version of Illustrator
  • Share crash logs by following these steps: https://helpx.adobe.com/in/illustrator/kb/crash-next-steps.html  
    While submitting the crash report please use the same email address, with which you are signed in on this community. This will help us find the crash report and help accordingly. 
  • If you are using Windows machine, logs from Event Viewer. 
    Press Windows+R to open the Run dialog, enter eventvwr (or eventvwr.msc) and hit OK. 
    Go to Windows Logs > Application and check if you see any error related to Illustrator.
  • Please share a sample file where you can replicate this behavior. You can upload it to the Creative Cloud (https://helpx.adobe.com/in/creative-cloud/help/share.html) and share the download link. 

We’re here to help, just need more info.   

Regards,

Srishti

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 13, 2020 Nov 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Im using Windows 10, there are no logs being created. I have been submitting crash logs to Adobe.

This happens on every file, every new file, every effect, everything, so I dont think adding a file will help but here is just a square with a drop shadow: https://shared-assets.adobe.com/link/df4717bb-09f3-45e4-6c56-70aed335db24

When using the Properties pane to trash an effect it crashes Illustrator, like I said this happens on everything, no exceptions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 17, 2020 Nov 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How old is your PC?

How much space do you have?

How much power do you have?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 02, 2020 Dec 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have Windows 10 on a brand new 2020 PC and am having this issue when removing the "Film Grain" effect. Same scenario, different effect, same result. Hope it's fixed soon!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Been watching this thread to see if there are any updates as I'm having the same problem. Not sure if I have the same set-up as the original user, but same situation where in the properties window, if I try to remove an effect from an object (in my case working with 3D extrude), Illustrator crashes.

I am using Windows 10, Illustrator 2021. Didn't see anything in the Event Viewer about the crash. And here's a file I used and tested, crashed when I tried deleting the effect: https://shared-assets.adobe.com/link/4fdffcee-fd67-4663-43de-00f22862c2f5\

I did see another thread with a similar topic, and a few just talking about crash-problems in general. Any solutions to try yet?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was able to delete the Effect with no problem on a Mac using Catalina 10.15.7 and the latest version of Illustrator.

However, this Effect is extremely complex, which made Illustrator very sluggesh when I first opened the file. I could not even select your path with the Selection tool for the first couple of minutes. Then I could not select the Effect listing in the Appearance OR Properties panels. At first I thought my Mac was frozen. It was that slow.

Hope this helps!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately I don't have access to a Mac lol 

I've been using the extrude effect (with some documents having multiple shapes like these together) for a good year now and only recently started having this issue. I can select the path with no problem, move it with no problem, open up the effect and CHANGE it with no problem. Don't even have a problem with Illustrator slowing down in doing any of these things. It's just when I try to delete the effect that Illustrator crashes.

If I have multiple extruded paths in a group, I can just 'ungroup' them and it removes the effect with no issue, but when I have a stand-alone path like the one in the file and I want, for example, to remove the effect to edit it before reapplying the effect, I can't. I would have to make a new path from scratch. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

Sorry about the trouble this issue has caused. We have been able to reproduce the issue and it is currently under investigation. 

Please upvote this issue here (https://illustrator.uservoice.com/forums/601447-illustrator-desktop-bugs/suggestions/41832787-drop-s...) and stay tuned for updates.

Regards,

Srishti

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am experiencing the same issue.

As long as I'm using the trashcan icon in the properties panel 

trashcan ICON.PNG

Try deleting the effect from the properties panel

properties panel.PNG

This approach worked for me, though it would be nice to be able to delete from the properties panel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I meant to say 'Appearance Panel' but for some reason I can't edit my posts by clicking on the 'more' button

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, this work-around does prevent the crashing for me! Hopefully they're able to fix the bug in the properties panel soon!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 26, 2020 Dec 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This worked for me! Thank you so much. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For whatever it may be worth, in the files from asdkjuihagsd832rd and Tina21 I am able to remove the effects with either the Properties or Appearance panel, with no selection problem or delay. Mac 10.15.7, Illustrator 25.0.

Peter

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 18, 2021 May 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks for this thread now I know I am not alone. Just recently started or I didn't notice it until now. Using a MAC here at work. I Will check on my PC when I get home. 

But this is really annoying considering it is quick and easy to get this done via the properties panel. Yes, it only occurs so far when I delete the effect via the properties panel

Screenshot 2021-05-18 at 11.44.17 AM.png

Screenshot 2021-05-18 at 11.41.33 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines