• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Illustrator CS3 opens as background application with no window [CS3 is dead!]

New Here ,
Apr 06, 2021 Apr 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a old copy of Adobe Illustrator CS3 that has stopped working. If I try to open it, the app opens as a background process on taskmanager, but there is no open active window. If I try to reopen it, it just opens anothe backgound process.

I have tried reinstalling the app and all components, tried opening the app in compatability mode (e.g. with vista or windows 8) and running it as an administrator. My laptop is a HP 250 notebook machine running wodnows 10 and is up to date and has no other issues.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

CS3 is not compatible with Windows 10.

It might just be impossible to run it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 07, 2021 Apr 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had previously managed to get it to run using a windows 10 machine with compatability mode, but I think you may be right and I'm out of luck. Thanks anyway

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tip: do not uninstall. You may lose all chance of it ever working, because the license servers are switched off. May be your luck has run out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sadly my old laptop died so my luck has gone. Yes it seems to be planned obselecence by removing the support updates and licence servers which sucks, but is not out of character for Adobe moving to subscription licence systems unfortunately.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is not planned obsolescense. This is just operating systems going forward and applications having to follow. You can still run your CS3 on a compatible machine. I'm currently writing this post on a compatible machine. My CS3 is still working.

As for the licensing server: again, it's a general issue with underlying services of such servers. Web servers need all kinds of updates and if those are not provided anymore, licenses run out of the server could be a security risk, then it has to be shut down.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 14, 2021 Apr 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It seems from these anwsers and more reading that if you keep it on the same machine (as you and Test screen name have) it should be fine, but it can't be resinstalled on new machines even with compatability mode (to run as if with old versions of windows).

We can disagree on the naming of this situation, but by choosing to not keep updates or licences running, the old software has essentially been rendered obselete unless you can still maintain an old PC or laptop - resulting in old users having to pay for new short licence software (which undoubtably have more features and functions, but may not be needed for all users).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So Adobe should adapt the old versions to new operating systems, but you don't want to pay them for that service?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would be open to paying for a patch if one was available (much as people buy emulators to play old console games), but I don't think it would make sense for Adobe as it would discourage people from buying more recent subscription licences? I also thought this is what the microsoft compatability mode is supposed to do (i.e., run the software using an old version of windows), but it doesn't sound from forum posts like that has worked for anyone.

Perhaps I didn't read the T&Cs well enough when I got CS3, but I can't imagine there was wording present saying all licence support, web support and updates can be ended at any time if technoogy advances, so you have the licence only as long as you keep your old computers working?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are system requirements for all products, which tell you the versions the software is guaranteed to run on.

https://helpx.adobe.com/illustrator/system-requirements-old-versions.html

Everything else is at your own risk.

Maybe the CS3 EULA can still be found online. You can try. I'm pretty sure it is based on the system requirements.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Channonball,

Have you tried Windows 7 or Windows XP (Service Pack 3)?

Up to date sounds ominous in this context.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/make-older-apps-or-programs-compatible-with-windows-10-7...

https://www.lifewire.com/run-older-programs-with-windows-10-compatibility-mode-4587064

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a good and but sadly for me is a fix I have already tried. Thanks anyway

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For my part you are welcome, Channonball. I feel with you for your loss.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think it is the issue of your licence do not uninstall it try to renew your licence. I hope it will help you 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

@Channonball,

Sorry to say this but CS3 is discontinued software from 2007.  It's unsupported and can no longer be activated because the activation servers for it failed years ago.  Even with a supporting computer, OS and graphics card, it's impossible to keep using CS3 now because it's kaput!  Uninstall it with the Adobe Cleaner Tool below and get a Creative Cloud subscription.

Or look at alternatives like Sketch, Affinity Designer, CorelDRAW and Inkscape.  

Good luck!

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines