• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Illustrator CS6 will not save files. Unknown Error has occured

Community Beginner ,
Apr 16, 2013 Apr 16, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am not able to save my files and illustrator gives the message 'An Unknown Error has occured'. In a previous discussion transparency is called out as the culprit however I am not using transparency in my document and have checked all the items. I have also tried copying the work into a new ai file however this also will not save. This is has happened to me about 5 times since I updated to CS6. Anyone else having this issue?

Update - I just closed Illustrator and lost all my work and then an Adobe update window showed up asking me to update Adobe Air. I recall an Adobe Update window appearing once before when I had problems solving. Could the Adobe update window interfere or prevent me from saving my documents?

TOPICS
Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
New Here ,
Dec 03, 2014 Dec 03, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had this issue today and was running for a deadline, the stress it caused was insane.
I drove to my brother's place and he was able to do the following, which HAS WORKED and so far I can save multiple times:

1. Open Terminal:  Navigate to /Applications/Utilities and double-click on Terminal.
(The Terminal comes with OS X but if you're running OS 9 then you'd have to upgrade to OS X before looking for Terminal. If you are running Jaguar (OS X 10.2) then the Terminal app will be in the /Applications/Utilities folder as previously posted. If it is not there, then it has been deleted. In which case, you'll either need to obtain a copy from another Mac system, or repair your OS X installation.)

2. When Terminal opens, type in the bold bits below so it looks like this:

Users-MacBook-Pro:~ user$ cd library

Users-MacBook-Pro:library user$ open .

3. A window will then open, find a folder called "Preferences" and open it

4. Then find the folder called "Adobe Illustrator CS3 Settings" (or whichever adobe version you have)

4. NB: Now quit Illustrator, and then drag that "Adobe Illustrator CS3 Settings" folder into the trash (no need to empty trash)

5. Re-launch Illustrator, you will see a new folder "Adobe Illustrator CS3 Settings" will appear in the terminal window that you just dragged the folder out of.

Adobe Illustrator can then be launched, and it should then work, and be able to save.

Repeat if the error message crops up again.

All thanks to my brother, love that guy.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 03, 2014 Dec 03, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You don't need Terminal for this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 04, 2015 Feb 04, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i tried many solutions above and no one can solved it .. i just installing it a moment ago and test by adding 1 box and 1 text but as usual the ilustrator cant save in .ai or .eps and .tiff what should i do ?? i just able to save to jpg etc .. but thats file cannot be modified again in later times

going on frustated ... it so confusing and take a whole time to get no answer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 04, 2015 Feb 04, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

THis is an old thread where many people describe different issues.

Please open a new thread and write down what eactly is happening for you.

Exact system and version,

exact error description.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 14, 2015 Feb 14, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i'm newbie here. please give a guide...

i have get quick solution about this. it maybe happen because of the text in the file. it happen to me.

the solution:

1. select all the text in the file. Select>All

2. change text to outlines. Type>Create Outlines

3. save. Files>Save

hope it will help.

source: Using Adobe Illustrator How to Convert Text to Outlines

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 14, 2015 Feb 14, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

quick solution 2:

if you want the text can edit in next use, try save under other format;

1. Adobe FXG (*.FXG)

2. SVG (*.SVG)

3. SGV Compressed (*.SVGZ)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 22, 2015 Mar 22, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Crazy, if I use any text in the document I get the “Unknown error has occurred” ... saving as SGV seems to be a work around to keep text live without having outlining it ... BUG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 29, 2016 Mar 29, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i have the same issue can anybody help me .

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

HELMAAA schrieb:

i have the same issue can anybody help me .

There are already 53 answers. Have you tried them all?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yes i tried them all

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

but i still can't save in a pdf or ai file but in a svg file.

and i like to talk to someone who speaks dutch and i tried find a number of the consumer service in holland but i were not able to find anything.

HELP NEEDED !!!!!!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 01, 2016 Apr 01, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

0202013331 is het nummer in nederland, maar uiteindelijk kom je dan toch in contact met iemand in Ierland, wat niet erg is, want met haar kon ik screen-delen, en heeft ze het gevonden.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 17, 2015 Feb 17, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had this happen this morning. My file had nothing complicated in it - no meshes, text, clipping masks, etc. It was just some simple icons I created. I couldn't find any solutions on the web so I checked here and found this thread.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Where are you saving your files? Your hard disk?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same place I always save them - my HD. I closed AI and opened the file again. I just moved something then undid it and saved. It saved fine this time. I think perhaps it could be the fact I had so many documents and windows open last time. Maybe. I dunno. Just a guess. This time I only had this browser window and AI open when I saved.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It suggests saving under a different name. Actually one of the first things I would try. But since it's so basic I assumed you're having really serious problems.

So did saving under a different name help you?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No ... when it happened I just closed the file without saving, then closed AI. I posted that YouTube link because that sounds like a good workaround for anyone else who encounters the issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 27, 2015 May 27, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"I ended up tracking it down to a path deep inside a distortion mesh that had no fill, no stroke, and nothing showing up in the appearance palette, yet was still marked as having some appearance effects applied to it; I hit the 'clear appearance' button in the appearance palette and was able to save just fine."  Egypt Urnash

I have a file with many objects, and I tracked my problem down to a similar issue.  I deleted then hit Undo for each group until I found the culprit.  There were several paths within the group that showed they had appearance attributes (by the gradient-filled target indicator in the layers palette), but only two paths had transparency - the rest were just "false positives."  They did have fills, though, so I couldn't use the Clear Appearance button without having to recolor everything.  What worked for me was Object > Expand Appearance.  This cleared all the false appearance indicators without actually clearing transparency where it was applied, and I was able to save the file.

I'm not sure why this was suddenly a problem, as this group is a fairly old illustration. I am currently consolidating my generic illustrations into files (e.g., cellPhones.ai, laptops.ai, etc.) so I can find them quickly in a pinch, and this particular group has been saved in this file before without problems.  The only thing I can think of is that I am also changing all the files to RGB from CMYK - just out of personal preference - so maybe that confused Illustrator.  You know how easy it is to confuse Illustrator!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 05, 2015 Jul 05, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have had the exact same issue - I re-saved my native file as a different name and it seemed to fix this problem.  Though I can't say this works all the time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 05, 2015 Jul 05, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is difficult to even screen shot anything because the error message is gone in a nanosec!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Aug 02, 2015 Aug 02, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You must save with creat outlines of all fonts in your work space, it's work on my pc

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 12, 2015 Aug 12, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have found the solution for this mess. The answers about saving without the "Create PDF Compatible File" is correct.

Steps:
1. Save your current work if you have one without "Create PDF Compatible File".

2. Close Illustrator
3. Download a new Adobe PDF/Acrobat Reader if you have one, otherwise download it anyway.
4. Reopen your previous work or create one with the "Create PDF Compatible File" is turned on.

I hope this may help you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 31, 2015 Aug 31, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i had the " an unknown error occurred " and i solved it by finding out that it was a corrupted font..

I couldn't save the file, so i lost everything i designed.

• delete the font you are using and install it again. open your file and check if it wants to save again. and save it on a other name for safety.

this was my problem on the unknown error.

Hope it helps someone..

Saludos

R

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 01, 2016 Apr 01, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had the same problem! There is a solution that I found and worked for me. I saved the file as a EPS instead of a AI file. Once it was done saving I deleted the old AI file and save a new Ai file. Worked like a charm! I have no idea why it happened but this was nice fix!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines