• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Illustrator CS6 will not save files. Unknown Error has occured

Community Beginner ,
Apr 16, 2013 Apr 16, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am not able to save my files and illustrator gives the message 'An Unknown Error has occured'. In a previous discussion transparency is called out as the culprit however I am not using transparency in my document and have checked all the items. I have also tried copying the work into a new ai file however this also will not save. This is has happened to me about 5 times since I updated to CS6. Anyone else having this issue?

Update - I just closed Illustrator and lost all my work and then an Adobe update window showed up asking me to update Adobe Air. I recall an Adobe Update window appearing once before when I had problems solving. Could the Adobe update window interfere or prevent me from saving my documents?

TOPICS
Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Explorer ,
Dec 07, 2016 Dec 07, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just found a painfully simple fix to this so I thought I'd throw it into the mix.

My file has 60 layers. With a bit of playing around, I've just discovered it will save as long as I have all the layers visible!? Hiding a load of the layers throws the "unknown error" back up again! Unhide them all and bam! Saved! Every time!

I'm not even going to wonder why that's the case. Seems pretty stupid to me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 09, 2016 Dec 09, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Had this infuriating issue crop up after updating to Illustrator CC 2017. Trying to save with "PDF Compatible File" unchecked worked but resulted in issues when placing the artwork in InDesign (also CC 2017). As with many of the cases in this thread the offender turned out to be a linked vector logo: the following did not work - embedding, saving logo as EPS, saving logo as PDF.

My solution turned out to be drop-dead simple and completely by accident - I left the layer with the offending artwork unlocked and it saves like a charm.

This is obviously not a universal solution, but add it to your list of things to try...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 19, 2016 Dec 19, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I, too, just recently updated to CC 2017, and had the error occur today. I tried a few of the above solutions that were mentioned, to no avail. I'm going back to using CC 2015.3.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 16, 2017 Jan 16, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, I've just had this problem re-appear, only weeks after I re-installed Windows (which had initially fixed the problem), and the last thing I was doing when the problem re-appeared was actually using Acrobat, not Illustrator! It literally dis-appeared from my screen while I was using it and won't start-up again, even after a reboot. The other problem which my Windows re-installation fixed has NOT re-appeared, and given this problem occurred when I was using Acrobat shows that this is a general Adobe problem, not a Windows problem...

...though having said that the curious thing is that going through my event viewer, there are NO problems relating to Adobe at the time it happened, but there IS this message...

Log Name:      System

Source:        Microsoft-Windows-DriverFrameworks-UserMode

Date:          17/01/2017 9:01:24 AM

Event ID:      10110

Task Category: User-mode Driver problems.

Level:         Critical

Keywords:     

User:          SYSTEM

Computer:      DESKTOP-DONALD

Description:

A problem has occurred with one or more user-mode drivers and the hosting process has been terminated.  This may temporarily interrupt your ability to access the devices.

Event Xml:

<Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">

<System>

<Provider Name="Microsoft-Windows-DriverFrameworks-UserMode" Guid="{2E35AAEB-857F-4BEB-A418-2E6C0E54D988}" />

<EventID>10110</EventID>

<Version>1</Version>

<Level>1</Level>

<Task>64</Task>

<Opcode>0</Opcode>

<Keywords>0x2000000000000000</Keywords>

<TimeCreated SystemTime="2017-01-16T22:01:24.922669500Z" />

<EventRecordID>4442</EventRecordID>

<Correlation />

<Execution ProcessID="396" ThreadID="1180" />

<Channel>System</Channel>

<Computer>DESKTOP-DONALD</Computer>

<Security UserID="S-1-5-18" />

</System>

<UserData>

<UMDFHostProblem lifetime="{1B5ECB99-6169-464B-8908-33B4C3265724}" xmlns="http://www.microsoft.com/DriverFrameworks/UserMode/Event">

<Problem code="3" detectedBy="2">

</Problem>

<ExitCode>3</ExitCode>

<Operation code="259">

<Message>72448</Message>

<Status>4294967295</Status>

</Operation>

</UMDFHostProblem>

</UserData>

</Event>

The symptoms from this event are still happenning (one of the devices mentioned was my phone, and indeed my phone still not visible by the computer even after the reboot). Perhaps resolving this will resolve the Adobe problem. In the meantime I can get around the Illustrator problem by running it as Administrator (the only suggestion that had worked for me, other than the Windows re-installation, and I don't want to be re-installing Windows every few weeks!).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 03, 2018 Mar 03, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also encounter this problem but I've found a simple solution. By saving it as a .svg or .svgz file. I think these two are just the same. .svg or .svgz files are just commonly used on web. I've tried other file types but only these two solved my problem. I opened it and it just looks the same. I think this problem occured because of different images I used. I hope I helped.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 03, 2018 Mar 03, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://forums.adobe.com/people/tsh+savera  schrieb

I also encounter this problem but I've found a simple solution. By saving it as a .svg or .svgz file. I think these two are just the same. .svg or .svgz files are just commonly used on web.

SVG files are not the same as AI files.

SVG files are saved with fewer detail when you use the default settings. Also when saving as an SVG with default settings, most effects are expanded. So depending on your artwork you might ruin it completely and irrecoverably when saving it as an SVG.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 20, 2018 Mar 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I had the same issue. My file had no images, just text. So I curved all fonts and it was able to save with the error popping back up. It was a FONT issue

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines