• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Illustrator doesn't understand command 'apply character styles' in AppleScript after update

Community Beginner ,
Jan 09, 2021 Jan 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello -

After updating Illustrator a few minutes ago, this Applescipt command, which always worked before:

apply character style character style "BPTFormatBOLD" of document "12 Cities Tides Table Template.eps" to text range of text frame "C1TXT" of document "12 Cities Tides Table Template.eps"

returns this error message:

error "Adobe Illustrator got an error: character style \"BPTFormatBOLD\" of document \"12 Cities Tides Table Template.eps\" doesn’t understand the “apply character style” message." number -1708 from character style "BPTFormatBOLD" of document "12 Cities Tides Table Template.eps"

Script fails. My work depends heavily on this as I NEED Applescript to apply character styles! I have hundreds of them!

Thank you for your help.

TOPICS
Scripting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Feb 03, 2021 Feb 03, 2021

Hi All,

Apologies for the delayed response. This issue has been fixed in upcoming release. You may also use the beta build 25.2 as suggested in this Illustrator UserVoice post(https://illustrator.uservoice.com/forums/601447-illustrator-desktop-bugs/suggestions/42411133--applescript-do-javascript-command-no-longer-work).

Hope it helps.

Regards,

Ashutosh

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have not used my Mac in a while, but could it be there is a new type dictionary which needs to be activated?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 10, 2021 Jan 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

it might be time to switch to Javascript, in the meantime if that's the only command that's not working, perhaps you could run a one line of javascript to take of the problem. It should be possible since it's visual basic can run javascript and applescript usually has similar capabilities.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Jan 11, 2021 Jan 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Works here:

tell application "Adobe Illustrator" -- 2021
  tell document 1
    apply character style character style "Test" to text range of text frame 1
  end tell
end tell

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Jan 11, 2021 Jan 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One thing: check the style names used in your script exactly match the style names in the AI document. AI can be a bit persnickety about differences in case.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 16, 2021 Jan 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Markfusco,

same problem here... did you found a solution?

Thx in advance.

José

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 17, 2021 Jan 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi -

The only solution was to uninstall and reinstall Version 25.0. All commands working again as usual.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 17, 2021 Jan 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Markfusco,

I understood that afetr trying another hour in fix the scripts thinking that the commands were changed.

Just curiosity, how do you reninstalled the previous version?

I did a restore of the whole system from Time Machine, but I didn't been so lucky, I got some problems whit it and the Mac OS has been reinstalled from scratch and the rest recovered from TM. I spent 2 days to come back to my setup 😞

Anyway many thanks for the answer.

Ciao!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 18, 2021 Jan 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi... pls ignore my question... understood a while ago that adobe added the chance to downgrade via CC app...

If I thought to give a check before 😄

All the best!

José

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Feb 03, 2021 Feb 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi All,

Apologies for the delayed response. This issue has been fixed in upcoming release. You may also use the beta build 25.2 as suggested in this Illustrator UserVoice post(https://illustrator.uservoice.com/forums/601447-illustrator-desktop-bugs/suggestions/42411133--apple...).

Hope it helps.

Regards,

Ashutosh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello -

Further to my earlier post about 'apply character styles' producing an error message in the newest update of Illustrator, now 'rotate' and embed' are doing the same. This is killing my workflow! Does anyone have any idea if this can be fixed?

Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines