Highlighted

Illustrator Draining my MacBook battery and not performing correctly after one to two hours of use

New Here ,
Jul 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is it normal for Illustrator to drain almost 50% of my battery after a little under two hours of using. Also after about two hours of use I end up having to shut down my laptop because Illustrator is not behaving right. For example, today I could not get the stroke to change size nor could I get Illutstrator to fill a shape I made. I went through the normal trouble shooting steps. Like making sure I had the elements selected and so on. When trouble shooting failed to work I quit Illustrator and re-opened it only to run into the problem of now all my work was in Pixels and not vector. So I had to shut down my computer. 

In addition I am currently in school for graphic design and have ran into Illustrator not being able to save my work when it starts having these issues. Thus causing me time and frustration because I have to re-do countless hours of work because Illustrator didnt perform right or for some reason decided to change paths, anchor points, and strokes and fills while trying to save work in the middle of the program acting up.

Am I doing something wrong or is this normal behavior for Illustrator to drain and kill a 2019 Macbook Pro within 3-4 hours along with performance issues progressively getting worse? Also I am new to Adobe Programs so Illustrator is the only program I have really dove into. So I am not sure if any of these problems are associated with other Adobe programs or if this is all new user error.

Topics

Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Illustrator Draining my MacBook battery and not performing correctly after one to two hours of use

New Here ,
Jul 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is it normal for Illustrator to drain almost 50% of my battery after a little under two hours of using. Also after about two hours of use I end up having to shut down my laptop because Illustrator is not behaving right. For example, today I could not get the stroke to change size nor could I get Illutstrator to fill a shape I made. I went through the normal trouble shooting steps. Like making sure I had the elements selected and so on. When trouble shooting failed to work I quit Illustrator and re-opened it only to run into the problem of now all my work was in Pixels and not vector. So I had to shut down my computer. 

In addition I am currently in school for graphic design and have ran into Illustrator not being able to save my work when it starts having these issues. Thus causing me time and frustration because I have to re-do countless hours of work because Illustrator didnt perform right or for some reason decided to change paths, anchor points, and strokes and fills while trying to save work in the middle of the program acting up.

Am I doing something wrong or is this normal behavior for Illustrator to drain and kill a 2019 Macbook Pro within 3-4 hours along with performance issues progressively getting worse? Also I am new to Adobe Programs so Illustrator is the only program I have really dove into. So I am not sure if any of these problems are associated with other Adobe programs or if this is all new user error.

Topics

Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Jul 03, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Jul 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It doesn't do that to my 2014 Macbook Pro.

Does your system have automatic GPU detection and can you turn that off?

As for the irregular behaviour: when was the last time you restarted that machine?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 04, 2020 0