Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Illustrator Effects can't be applied

Community Beginner ,
May 14, 2021 May 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hey there, 

I'll start by saying that I'm fairly new to illustrator, I've learned it in school but forgot most of it over time.

I want to create a text with 3D effect, which worked great. This was only a small exercise, now that I deleted the text and started to create a new one with the effect, it just doesn't work anymore. I can't click on the effect (it's light grey, so not 'clickable'). I tried everything, deleting all filters/ effects in the apperance window, checking if my font is converted to paths and even closing and reopening illustrator.

Does someone know the answer to my problem? I'm starting to loose hope and patience.

TOPICS
Bug , Tools

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 3 Correct answers

Community Beginner , May 14, 2021 May 14, 2021

I just realized that I can't use filters on text, when I select the text.

so thanks to myself and everyone who supported me in those difficult times of half an hour.

Maybe someone else is as stupid as me and can be helped by my mistakes.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , May 14, 2021 May 14, 2021

Try selecting the text object as a single element (using the Selection tool) and not using the Type tool to select the text. Selecting characters limits what you can do. Text objects are more capable than characters.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , May 14, 2021 May 14, 2021

Are you selecting your text by highlighting it or are you selecting it with the selection tool (black arrow)? If highlighted, you can't do the things you want, you need to select the text as a whole and then you shouldn't have anymore problems. If you are still haveing problems, then please post some scene shots of your artboard and layers panerl expaneded so we can see what is going on.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just realized that I can't use filters on text, when I select the text.

so thanks to myself and everyone who supported me in those difficult times of half an hour.

Maybe someone else is as stupid as me and can be helped by my mistakes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try selecting the text object as a single element (using the Selection tool) and not using the Type tool to select the text. Selecting characters limits what you can do. Text objects are more capable than characters.

— Adobe Certified Expert & Instructor at Noble Desktop | Web Developer, Designer, InDesign Scriptor

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you selecting your text by highlighting it or are you selecting it with the selection tool (black arrow)? If highlighted, you can't do the things you want, you need to select the text as a whole and then you shouldn't have anymore problems. If you are still haveing problems, then please post some scene shots of your artboard and layers panerl expaneded so we can see what is going on.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 26, 2021 May 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I did highlight the text

Thank you, everything works fine now 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines