Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Illustrator Export Selection

Engaged ,
Oct 14, 2009 Oct 14, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi guys,

Is there any way to Export Selected Objects in Illustrator? I am working on a website sketch and i will need to include things outside the frame. When i select Export (or save as PDF) even if i have all objects selected i just get the JPG with the A4 paper.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Sebastian

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sebastian,

Is there any way to Export Selected Objects in Illustrator?

Not that I know of.

I am working on a website sketch and i will need to include things outside the frame. When i select Export (or save as PDF) even if i have all objects selected i just get the JPG with the A4 paper.

Why not increase the Artboard size to include all, moving the objects or Artboard if needed?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why not increase the Artboard size to include all, moving the objects or Artboard if needed?

I suppose it is a possibility. Anyhow it might change proportions a bit and i thought it could be a faster way as other programs have the "Export selection" possibility.

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Jun 30, 2012 Jun 30, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I find it hard to believe that after so many versions Ai still does not offer the Export Selected object option.

Most vector packages have had this for over ten years.

Same as with zoom to selected command, and the ability to assign permanent hotkeys to scripts...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 23, 2013 May 23, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just found this thread as I was trying to export selected individual objects, each in their own file. I too am quite surprised that AI doesn't offer this very basic feature. I've been using it for many years in CorelDRAW and Xara Designer Pro. With AI CS6 I either have to temporarily remove everything I DON'T want to export, then Save as..., or Save as one file, import into alnother program, break it down into separate parts, then move them around as needed.

I'm already on the Premiere CC beta team. Any chance we can see this fundamental feature in AI CC soon?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 13, 2014 May 13, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I created an Action for web export of selected objects.

It has been test only on russian version of Illustrator CC.

I do not know if language does matter for Actions in Illustrator.

http://ge.tt/api/1/files/12A5d2h1/0/blob?download

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have my own export selection commands.....

1. Select object(s)
  2. Copy
  3. New
  4. Paste
  5. Export

Works every time without fail

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi scott, long time no see, welcome back

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 30, 2019 Apr 30, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is no EASY way to do this in Illustrator. Only the Illustrator way, which means multiple steps and jumping through a lot of needless hoops.

The sick, sad world part of this is that Adobe owns the source code to Freehand - and Freehand had this feature for years, with an elegant implementation: If you had nothing selected, it exported the entire document. If you had an object(s) selected, it would export ONLY the selected object. Simple. Intuitive. Easy.

Ditto for adding/deleting Bezier points, editing objects, and a million other things.

Damn, I miss Freehand.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 30, 2019 Apr 30, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

captdigital  schrieb

There is no EASY way to do this in Illustrator. Only the Illustrator way, which means multiple steps and jumping through a lot of needless hoops.

Let's hope, the website is finished now (10 years after the initial post).

Have you ever heard of "Asset export"?

Or - if you insist in calling it from the menu: File > Export selection?

Or maybe the Layer Exporter script? GitHub - davidderaedt/Illustrator-Layer-Exporter: A panel for Illustrator to easily export all layer...  or this one: Export Illustrator Layers as PNGs | Matthew Ericson - ericson.net  or this one: An Illustrator script for exporting layers and/or artboards into separate files (PNG8 / PNG24 / EPS ...

captdigital  schrieb

The sick, sad world part of this is that Adobe owns the source code to Freehand - and Freehand had this feature for years

You probably know that you can't just copy code from one application into another one. And especially the FreeHand code, because the developers first made their own coding language and then coded FreeHand in it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 01, 2019 May 01, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Illustrator added the Asset Export panel a few versions ago. With this feature you can select individual objects, define them for export, then export only those elements to web graphic formats.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines