Highlighted

Illustrator extremely slow when making patterns

New Here ,
Aug 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Everytime I try to make a pattern in illustrator it freezes or runs extremley slow! I have been hand painting my designs and uploading the image to photoshop. I cutt them out with the lasso tool in photoshop then place in illustrator and convert into vector file. Could this be a sizing issue? Very frustrated and would really appreciate some help so I can make these designs for work!

Thanks!

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by Monika Gause | Adobe Community Professional

Well, yes: as I said: there are likely hundreds of thousands of paths in your file.

What you are doing doesn't make a lot of sense.

If you have painted something, then why bother about vector? Make a high resolution pixel pattern in Photoshop.

TOPICS
How to, Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Illustrator extremely slow when making patterns

New Here ,
Aug 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Everytime I try to make a pattern in illustrator it freezes or runs extremley slow! I have been hand painting my designs and uploading the image to photoshop. I cutt them out with the lasso tool in photoshop then place in illustrator and convert into vector file. Could this be a sizing issue? Very frustrated and would really appreciate some help so I can make these designs for work!

Thanks!

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by Monika Gause | Adobe Community Professional

Well, yes: as I said: there are likely hundreds of thousands of paths in your file.

If you have painted something, then why bother about vector? Make a high resolution pixel pattern in Photoshop.

TOPICS
How to, Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Aug 06, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Aug 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You mean you have a painted image and then use Image Trace on it and then make a pattern?

Autotracing a painting will give you a gazillion of paths. Making that into a pattern and applying that pattern multiplies the number of paths even more.

It's not surprising that it takes Illustrator a minute to render that on screen for you.

What are you trying to accomplish when autotracing those images?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 06, 2020 0
New Here ,
Aug 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's taking hours to produce one pattern...Im trying to accomplish patterns from my images that I convert to vector but it's at the point where the program crashes everytime.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 06, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Aug 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 07, 2020 0
New Here ,
Aug 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay didn't know that was an option still learning adobe ways...thanks!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 07, 2020 0