Highlighted

Illustrator files will not open, get text import options

Adobe Community Professional ,
Aug 09, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A couple posts on this forums regarding this topic, but no answers.

Our files are from Dec 2008 on a server, and when opening .ai files get this:

Picture 2.png

Choosing OK results is a blank file. The .ai files have a good looking amount of mb to them (eg: 1.9mb). The other non .ai fiels are fine.

I cannot even open the code in text wrangler, content recovery mode (shift opt command, with /enableContentRecovery 1) does not produce a _file.

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by MikeGondek | Adobe Community Professional

The problem was with the server and a poor configuration of compressing files. All it takes for this message to happen is for the AI headers to be missing, but the reason for this varies as mentioned by other posters.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Illustrator files will not open, get text import options

Aug 09, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A couple posts on this forums regarding this topic, but no answers.

Our files are from Dec 2008 on a server, and when opening .ai files get this:

Picture 2.png

Choosing OK results is a blank file. The .ai files have a good looking amount of mb to them (eg: 1.9mb). The other non .ai fiels are fine.

I cannot even open the code in text wrangler, content recovery mode (shift opt command, with /enableContentRecovery 1) does not produce a _file.

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by MikeGondek | Adobe Community Professional

The problem was with the server and a poor configuration of compressing files. All it takes for this message to happen is for the AI headers to be missing, but the reason for this varies as mentioned by other posters.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Aug 09, 2011 1
Aug 09, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How are you trying to open the files? From within AI; by double-clicking or some other way? Is there a difference if you copy the file locally? Sounds like the file association is lost and they are being treated as a text file similar to word.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 09, 2011 0
Aug 09, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have tried opening them by using open command, double clicking and from my local hard drive. The file association appears to be good as doubleclicking send sme to illustrator.

Tried to change the dot extension to .pdf and open in acrobat and got:

Picture 1.png

Placing the .ai in Indesign gives me

Picture 2.png

Really wish I could see the code, but that did not work,  as maybe just the headers are missing as the file size is good so some useful data must be there unless it is all scrambled.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 09, 2011 0
Aug 09, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you zip a file and post it somewhere. I'vd had problems with some files on a Windows server being changed to Unix executables instead of the oroginal file type.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 09, 2011 0
Aug 09, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I usually zip files before posting, but zipping made a 1.9mb file 4k so am posting the .ai file:

http://www.filesanywhere.com/fs/v.aspx?v=8a6d6288595e6faaa2a7

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 09, 2011 0
Aug 09, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, I've got a filter on at work and can't get to it right now. PM me and I'll send my email.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 09, 2011 0
Aug 09, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No hurry we have a few days, and I think we will be getting this from IT backups.

I am just curious to know if there is a way to solve this,what the cause was,  as have seen 3 posts on this forum but no solution.

My wild guess is that they had a compressed folder while our server was pc, and they transferred the files compressed to the mac server which cannot decompress. The problem exist only with the illusutrator files in a certain folder.

Please post if anyone else has experienced the text import options window coming up.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 09, 2011 0
Engaged ,
Aug 09, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I download it, it gives me a .ps at the end of the file name, which usually means it a postscript file.

But, it errors out when dropping it on Acrobat Distiller.

And opening the file in Word results in no text at all.

Very strange.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 09, 2011 1
Aug 09, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After messing around with it for a while I finally got it to open in OpenOffice. It consisted of 340 pages of this

Screen shot 2011-08-09 at 2.08.19 PM.png

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 09, 2011 1
Aug 09, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I believe the .ps is added by the browser since I usually .zip files that does not happen. You shoudl be abel to chaeng to .ai to get the file as I intended to post it.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 09, 2011 0
Dec 07, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The file was compressed on our server, and our IT dept retrieved form tape backup, that section of our server.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 07, 2011 0
New Here ,
Oct 01, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've had the same problem in Adobe illustrator CC. Did anyone find a solution to this?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 01, 2015 0
Oct 01, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

usamawan schrieb:

I've had the same problem in Adobe illustrator CC. Did anyone find a solution to this?

Files are individual as well as reasons for the file to get corrupt. Obviously in this case someone found a solution because the thread is marked "Solved". Now have you read the complete thread and did you try all that's been said?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 01, 2015 1
New Here ,
Oct 01, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

img.png

This is the issue I get. Apparently the same as Mike Gondek. The thread here marked as "Answer" doesn't seem to be an answer at all.
Can you help me out?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 01, 2015 0
Oct 01, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The answer in this case was to open the backup files.

Which actually might be the best solution, because your file got corrupt.

There is recover software available especially for Illustrator, but it might or might not work.

http://www.recoverytoolbox.com/buy_illustrator.html

http://markzware.com/adobe-software/fix-illustrator-file-unknown-error-occurred-pdf2dtp-file-recove...

There is also a recovery mode in some versions:

http://helpx.adobe.com/de/illustrator/kb/enable-content-recovery-mode-illustrator.html

http://helpx.adobe.com/de/illustrator/kb/copy-paste-artwork-slow-or.html

http://helpx.adobe.com/de/illustrator/kb/opening-illustrator-file-get-error.html

http://helpx.adobe.com/illustrator/kb/preference-file-location-illustrator.html

http://daxxter.wordpress.com/2009/04/16/how-to-recover-a-corrupted-illustrator-ai-file/

Widespread reason for corrupt files: Saving directly to networks.

In case you are trying to open your file directly from a network: try and copy it to your harddisk before opening.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 01, 2015 1
Oct 01, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 01, 2015 0
New Here ,
Oct 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the info. I was having this issue and realized that it was after I began using a third party app to access all of my different cloud based storage files in one area. It's pretty handy but it affects my illustrator files. I have to go directly to the application (dropbox or google drive, etc.) to download it and open it properly. I thought all had been lost, but thankfully the direct download works!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 08, 2020 0
New Here ,
Oct 12, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just lost a very important document the same way, Illustrator sucks!!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 12, 2015 1
New Here ,
Jun 11, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know this question is marked as answered, but I was getting exactly this behavior with several SVG files. It turns out, my problem was caused by the file extension being capitalized, i.e. .SVG instead of .svg.

I spent quite a bit of time looking for an answer, so I'd like to share that info here since it was one of my top search results.

Here's the SO thread that helped me out: https://superuser.com/questions/125564/adobe-illustrator-cant-open-svg-file

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 11, 2019 0
New Here ,
Jan 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Another Solution - I had the same issue but the problem wasn't a corrupt file or server related (since my coworker could open the file just fine). I was opening the .ai file via Adobe Bridge, and had recently updated Bridge and selected to import all preferences from the old version. Thinking that might be the issue, I uninstalled Bridge and then re-installed it, but this time without importing anything from the older version. And it worked! I was able to open the .ai in the 2020 version without issue.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 09, 2020 0