• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Illustrator for iPad

New Here ,
Jan 24, 2018 Jan 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When will Adobe create an illustrator App for iPad that includes all the same functions and features as the regular application?

TOPICS
Feature request

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Beginner , Jan 24, 2018 Jan 24, 2018

Hi Sierras,

I have to be honest, It's highly unlikely that this will ever happen. Its 2 different user experiences. This is why Adobe have created Adobe Draw to bridge that gap between tablet and desktop. As Jonathan says above its actually really good and you can send your designs directly to an open version of Adobe Illustrator on your Mac or PC (I think you can on PC).

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Feb 17, 2020 Feb 17, 2020

Adobe illustrator for the iPad is in a beta process. They announced it at adobe max during the keynote session. No idea when it is going to be available to the general audience but for now we hav3 a group of testers. I am going to have an adobe user group meeting soon to feature the illustrator iPad. Follow adobe illustrator users group  la on facebook and you will see the announcement. 

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Guru ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

they do have it, its called adobe draw. you can draw on the ipad and make amazing illustrations.

take a look:

Behance

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 03, 2019 Feb 03, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe draw does not compare to Illustrator in any way, as far as I can tell, there isn’t a very advanced shape tool, no pathfinder capabilities, no alignment tools, and on, and on, and on... what if you were wanting to work on a logo or some icon designs? With the power and capability of my new iPad Pro, this doesn’t seem like an unreasonable ask... Sometimes I just want to get away from my desk for a bit, and chill on the couch or out on the back deck, and the ipad is much easier than having to take my laptop and Wacom tablet to those locations.

It’s a real shame we have to use other applications like affinity designer, or the like, and then figure out some work around for getting our work passed back into illustrator, when these other applications have proven that a complete, feature rich app is completely possible and usable on the iPad Pro.

I would much rather be staying inside the adobe ecosystem, but alas I am forced out of it at times by the lack of features in the adobe mobile apps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Sierras,

I have to be honest, It's highly unlikely that this will ever happen. Its 2 different user experiences. This is why Adobe have created Adobe Draw to bridge that gap between tablet and desktop. As Jonathan says above its actually really good and you can send your designs directly to an open version of Adobe Illustrator on your Mac or PC (I think you can on PC).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 30, 2018 Oct 30, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not so fast:

How Adobe is bringing “real Photoshop” to the iPad - The Verge

"So what does this mean for bringing other Adobe programs to the iPad? Is Illustrator on the way? “I certainly want to bring more of the suite of creative products to the iPad,” Belsky says. “Every product should be a multisurface system.” "

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 07, 2018 Apr 07, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Where do you download Illustrator app for iPad?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try the App Store. Search for Adobe Draw.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No. I need Illustrator CC NOT draw.  I hate draw

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not to be disloyal to Adobe (love you Adobe!) But Draw has some serious shortcomings. You might look at Graphic by Picta (Graphic.com). It looks and feels a lot like Illustrator but on the iPad. Sadly the beautiful vector lines that it draws do not convert to an Illustrator .ai format so the best you can do is send an svg or pdf to Illustrator on the desktop and you'll end up with shapes instead of linear paths. Still, nice app.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Graphic has potential on the iPad, but its current version is pretty frustrating to use. It's even frustrating if you have a keyboard and Apple pencil. The pen tool doesn't work like it should. I ran across one bug involving saving files and changing file names (the app insisted any file name I chose already existed). Adobe (or someone else) has an opportunity to one-up that application with a better vector-based drawing app for the iPad platform (and perhaps Android too). On the good side, the application's PDFs aren't all that bad, especially if the artwork being exported is straight-forward.

Adobe Illustrator Draw is also a very limited application. It's not bad if you want to do some sketchy freehand stuff that is vector-based right from the start. If I want to do something more polished I have to use the Adobe Sketch app and then bring those results into Adobe Illustrator CC where I can use a fully featured pen tool (as well as other tools from plug-ins like those from Astute Graphics).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I do t want to use anything else but Ilusyrator and I need it in my iPad. Why is this so hard for people to understand. I’ve been dealing with this for 24 hrs!!!!!

Cammie Ikels Talley

Sent from my iPhone

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Cammie,

I'm sorry but there is not version of Illustrator which runs on an iPad. It's not just Illustrator, there are also no versions of Adobe InDesign or Adobe Photoshop either. Glen explained that above.

If you want Illustrator, you'll need a Mac or PC instead to run it on. There's no other way.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 17, 2020 Feb 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't see the point of adobe draw. No pen tool no gradient tool no export of the .ai files. Other iPad apps like fresco, procreate, photoshop etc... create superior pixel based art. But not one allows export of vector art. I could really use vector export capabilities on the ipad. Using the iPad is a really nice experience (as using the computer goes), so much nicer than my Wacom mobile studio pro, but alas I'm stuck switching between my MacBook Pro, my Wacom mobile pro , and my iPad 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 18, 2018 Jul 18, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I too think that Adobe`s strategy on this is really strange. Wenn i am on the go, i want to work on the same files as on the Mac. Create a new file and add your illustrations to the existing file is not what professionals need. That's a totally "nuts" answer. Every plattform or service is trying to sync on all devices for an as seemless workflow as possible. Just Adobe is like: Nah! Go on, you can do this from the scratch.

Can someone explain this stragedy in any way?

Btw. i just read that PS is coming to the iPad in 2019. Probably they woke up, stopped thinking for themselves and listen to the people who use their software! ... Or they are just afraid of Affinity & Co

So there is hope. Or soon there will be alternatives

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

jnbhht  schrieb

I too think that Adobe`s strategy on this is really strange. Wenn i am on the go, i want to work on the same files as on the Mac.

When on the go, I can totally recommend a Microsoft Surface (or similar tablet).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah, that is always possible. But for me, i can't stand MS Windows anymore. And everytime i use one of these (love the design of the surface series) even pinch to zoom is buggy. At that point i'm already gone! Fix the basics i guess. iOS on the other hand is buttery smoooooth at almost everything ...

Offtopic:

I think the reason for this is that almost every app for iOS has to be rewritten from ground up to be ported. So there is no decade-old code hidden like in desktop-versions of the same apps. But that is only my guess, and i'm not that smart

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

jnbhht  schrieb

Offtopic:

I think the reason for this is that almost every app for iOS has to be rewritten from ground up to be ported. So there is no decade-old code hidden like in desktop-versions of the same apps. But that is only my guess, and i'm not that smart

But in order for your files to be fully editable on the iPad, each and every function will need to be ported. Which means that everything will be 1.0.

Maybe you are only thinking of some paths with fills, but that's not true for everyone else.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Monika, your right. Everything has to be ported. And your right that I don`t know if i want this. But as long as there are no alternatives, that are as or more useful than the CC-Apps in my whole workflow, i want this

Maybe i would be already happy if i could open Ai-Files and save them as Ai-Files with Adobe Draw ...

All i said is Adobe Draw is not an option in my workflow. It is a not even a workaorund. It is not even compatible with Ai-Files.

I don`t want do troll here. I'm just expressing my opinion, so that Adobe may or may not put this 2 cents into their future desicions.

Btw. i am not thinking of some path and fills. I am thinking about going on a trip to a customer or to the beach or whatever and keep working on my Illustrations that i started/worked on my desktop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

jnbhht

Btw. i am not thinking of some path and fills. I am thinking about going on a trip to a customer or to the beach or whatever and keep working on my Illustrations that i started/worked on my desktop.

Oh and i am pretty sure, i'm not the only one who want this and the professionals, who want this, are happy to pay for it too

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 20, 2018 Jul 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The iPad is not a replacement for a full blown personal computer and the applications that run on it (contrary to the advertising coming from Apple). The OS in the iPad is pretty basic compared to Mac OSX or Windows. The iPad doesn't have the processing power and data storage capacity to function as a notebook or desktop computer replacement. The only way it could serve that purpose is if the user was doing only basic/casual things with a computer. It's just not practical at all to expect full versions of desktop Adobe applications to be ported to the iPad. Even if you tried porting an ancient version of Adobe Illustrator (such as version 7) you would still run into all kinds of problems. One big deal breaker is iPad keyboards are very different from those made for Macs and PCs. The keyboard shortcuts wouldn't map out correctly due to a lot of missing keys.

I'm not a fan of the Surface notebooks because the stylus could be better. Wacom makes a portable computer where you can draw directly on the screen and run desktop graphics apps on it like Illustrator and Photoshop. But the portable tablet computer costs pretty serious money.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 21, 2018 Jul 21, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi BobbyH5280, i'm with you on the fact that the iPad is not comparable to/can't replace a PC with macOS or Windows. And i wasn't asking for that. It is for me more of a symbiant between a media-consumtion/notepad/writing/gaming and the most important (a very potent) drawing device. For me!

And all i'm saying is that it would be awesome if Adobe would give me and many other creatives the opportunity to keep on working on the same files while on the fly, if the PC/Mac is not an option (f.e. on a train )

Did you use a newer/bigger iPad for a while for yourself? If not, try it. It is my first one (12,9") since the first iPad that came out. I hated it then, i love it now. It came a long way and now you can see what they were heading for from the start. For me at least. This thing has more power, than my Laptop (2014 i know) and is more fluid in the usability, drawing and the apps than my desktop (because everything is custom/fresh programmed, i guess).

And the usability is at a point where a professional workflow is achievable. Multitasking/Files/Creative Apps/Pencil is all i want and need. And you get that now. Take a look at 'Affinity Designer' if your thinking Desktop-Apps can't work on a Tablet. It's compareable to Illustrator!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Oct 23, 2019 Oct 23, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm interested in the results you had searching for AI to use on an iPad. I'm looking to revamp my whole Mac family and the 17" MBP for something lighter and newer but I need access to my old AI files and the app is now in the cloud so it doesn't need to be fully installed or stored on the iPad. This is October 2019 so, what's the newest idea??

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 25, 2018 Jul 25, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Affinity Designer is the solution !!! Better than illustrator on “iPad”

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 25, 2018 Jul 25, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

schrieb

Affinity Designer is the solution !!! Better than illustrator on “iPad”

The solution for what?

This thread is about editing and roundtripping AI documents across desktop and iPad. That is not possible with Affinity Designer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 27, 2018 Jul 27, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This thread gets a little lost. This is more of a feature request: I just want to add my voice requestIng a more robust Adobe Draw. I would gladly pay for more Illustrator type precision and functionality. It’s simply SO much easier to draw on an iPad. Something like a vector based Procreate would be REALLY awesome . Right now it feels as though Adobe has deliberately hamstrung Draw (because free). Why, for instance, cant we create a shape and then copy paste it into a different file? How about being able to upload diff brushes? Or selecting points on a path....?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines