Highlighted

Illustrator freezing randomly on macOS

New Here ,
May 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Imagine the using the pen tool then it suddenly it stops and freezes, you get the infamous spinning wheel of death and a myriad of things can follow. Screen blacks out, tabbers on the top of the screen go blank, the opened apps flicker in an out whenever you wave your cursor over them, even the ones that were forced quit. Or all of the above can happen. This lottery can happen every few minutes and has been.

What is causing this? I've been told that it could be storage but this happens anyway. Today alone I had to force shut down my laptop five times in less than two hours! This is not healthy for it at all!

77FDECE2-F2A2-4AA4-9E2B-01E8746A874F.jpeg

{Renamed by MOD}

Topics

Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Illustrator freezing randomly on macOS

New Here ,
May 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Imagine the using the pen tool then it suddenly it stops and freezes, you get the infamous spinning wheel of death and a myriad of things can follow. Screen blacks out, tabbers on the top of the screen go blank, the opened apps flicker in an out whenever you wave your cursor over them, even the ones that were forced quit. Or all of the above can happen. This lottery can happen every few minutes and has been.

What is causing this? I've been told that it could be storage but this happens anyway. Today alone I had to force shut down my laptop five times in less than two hours! This is not healthy for it at all!

77FDECE2-F2A2-4AA4-9E2B-01E8746A874F.jpeg

{Renamed by MOD}

Topics

Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Adobe Employee ,
May 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

So sorry to hear about the trouble you are facing with Illustrator. That's definitely shouldn't be happening. Let us help you fix this. Before we start troublshooting, let us just confirm that the machine has all the required specs for Illustrator 2020. Please take a look at this help article (https://helpx.adobe.com/in/illustrator/system-requirements.html). If everything looks fine, then please share the following details:

• Exact version of Illustrator and operating systrem
  • Does it seem to freeze at random or after a particular action?
  • Is the issue related to a specific document? If yes, could you please share the document with us? You can upload it to the Creative Cloud and share the download link.
  • Where the files are saved (Network Drive/ System HDD/ Shared Folder on System /External HDD)?
  • When did this start happening? Are there any recent changes made to your system? For example, any antivirus, system updates or web extensions installed recently.

Looking forward to your response!

Regards,

Srishti

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
May 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Srishti,

I would greatly apreciate your support and can provide the requested answers to troubleshoot. After reviewing your checklist, the only difference I have is that my procesor is: 2.2 GHz Intel Core i7... what does that mean? I have a MacBook Air 2017. 

• Adobe Illustrator 2020 High Sierra 
  • I am experienceing very similar issues as Contender811. MY Illustrator freezes and glitches out, zooms in and the background becomes black, continuous pinwheel, etc. I have never seen or experienced anything like this with Adobe products. I have also restarted my computer, etc. - The project I am working on is simply vectorizing artwork, mainly using keyboard short cuts between the Pen tool, Eyedroppper tool, manipulating anchor points, etc.
  • It is happening with a document I created today
  • File is saved to my computer 
  • This began about 2 hours ago and continues to happen prohibiting me to continue working. I haven't done any anti virus updates etc. I turned my wifi off for a while at one point, but that shouldn't be an issue as Illustrator works without connection if downloaded.
  • PLEASE HELP!! thank you! 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
May 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Srishti,

I think I'm okay with the requirements if all the other adobe apps are working well. Anyway, onto the questions. I also cleared up more storage. Around 50 gigabytes worth of garbage, unfortunately this is still happening anyway.

• Adobe Illustrator 2020, installed as of March if I remember. MacOS High Sierra, trying to transition to MacOS Catalina currently
  • So far these problems occur whenever I'm using the pen tool. I anchor one end of the line, but before I connect or drop anything with the other then it just freezes, spins the wheel, and the issues above occur. If I'm lucky I can work continuously at fifteen minutes or even half an hour, at worse this'll happen every few minutes or even seconds.
  • This seems to happen to whatever document I use the pen tool on extensively on. Especially with the more progress I make over time. The more I do, the more likely I'm confronted with bugs and glitches.
  • Sadly this started happening not too long after I downloaded the app about a month ago, when I got the idea to make use of it for long periods of time and pursue as much as I could with the pen tool and other tools within.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same problem and haven't been able to fix it. Iv'e never had an issue like this before.

I only get about 10 minutes of Illustrator time and then it freezes for a couple of seconds and all of my screens go black, only way out is a hard restart. I have tried to re install Illustrator but did nothing to fix the issue.

Can someone assist?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
May 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am experiencing the same problem! Super frustrating 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
May 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This happens to me too. Latest version of Creative Cloud drains all RAM memory from my mac, i barely can use one program because i just keep restarting the app or the mac. 

i think we need a SUPER COMPUTER. ☹️ 

E8FA23ED-4036-4D4E-9302-C218FC840525.jpeg

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
May 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think Adobe needs to step up their capatabilty options to be more reasonable, this is ridiculous and unacceptable 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
May 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Everyone,

We're sorry to hear about the issues you are facing with Illustrator. Let help you fix this. I would need few details from your machine:

• Exact version of Illustrator
  • SPX file:
    Click on Apple Icon > About this Mac > System Report   
    This will launch the System Profiler  
    Then Click File > Save > Save in Creative Cloud Files.
    How to collect spx file.png
  • Illustrator Preferences folders:

Go to following locations

~/Library/Caches

~/Library/Application Support/Adobe

~/Library/Preferences
    Copy-paste the Adobe Illustrator, Adobe Illustrator 24 and Adobe Illustrator 24 Settings folders to Creative Could files.

All these details will help us replicating this issue and fix it accordingly.

After sharing these details, please these steps and let us know which step helped resolving the issue:

1. Reset Preferences: - 
  • Close all Adobe applications. 
  • Go to locations 
  • ~/Library/Caches 
  • ~/Library/Application Support/Adobe 
  • ~/Library/Preferences 
  • Rename  Adobe Illustrator, Adobe Illustrator 24, com.adobe.illustrator and Adobe Illustrator 24 Settings folders to   Adobe Illustrator.old,  Adobe Illustrator 24.old, com.adobe.illustrator.old and Adobe Illustrator 24 Settings.old 
  • Launch Illustrator from the Creative Cloud. 
    Please note that resetting preferences will remove all the custom settings and Illustrator will launch with default settings. This way all your old settings will be saved in .old folders and Illustrator will recreate new folders with default settings.  

1. If that doesn't help, try booting the system into Safe Mode (https://helpx.adobe.com/in/x-productkb/global/start-safe-boot-mode-mac.html) and check how it works there. It starts your system so that it performs certain checks and prevents third party software/ services from automatically loading or opening. If it works fine in Safe mode, then there is some third party service or application like antivirus, plugins or web extensions which are conflicting with the Illustrator. 

1. If that doesn't help either, login to root account (https://support.apple.com/en-in/HT204012). Check how application works there. If it works fine there, then it could be related to permission errors. Follow these steps to repair permission errors: https://helpx.adobe.com/in/illustrator/kb/preferences-folder-read-only-error.html  

Regards!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
May 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's my file: https://shared-assets.adobe.com/link/1a2f7482-2c3c-4b92-798e-cf09db702452

~/Library/Caches

~/Library/Application Support/Adobe

~/Library/Preferences

Some files where not able to sync...

Screen Shot 2020-05-12 at 19.17.24.png

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
May 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for sharing that. The link you shared is for SPX file only. Please share the links for 

other folders as well.

Regards!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines