• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

illustrator from indesign coming weird - how do I break it apart?

LEGEND ,
May 24, 2021 May 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

in the pipeline of a production house I work in there are text titles coming from the agency. the designers do some sort of conversion from indesign conversion to illustrator that make the text arrive this way. 

what I want to be able to do is easily separate the text into separate rows. each rows in different layer. obviously one instance of text not two or three which seems to be the case here (there's seem to be one over the other). 

how do I effectively break this apart?, and make these lines of text as separate layers (each line a different layer), where in each one there's only one instance of text and not two/three on over the other.
I would prefer just to know the set of commands to do it myself once in illustrator but also any notes for the agancy to properly convert the indesign to illustrator might help.

here's a screenshot. and here is the project:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1zkAqnTqaIHd0fhw4hK5efdgrD5AAkt-s/view?usp=sharing

001.png

thanks

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Can you confirm what file type are you working with? Is it a PDF created in InDesign?

Most of the work will be done manually as usually the workflow goes from illustrator to InDign, not the other way around.

Can you also confirm the version of your software and operating system.

Depending on how the file is saved/exported in InDesign, you will get the outline and the fill of every letter on seperate elements, sometimes adding the gap in a looped character like in e.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thanks Eric, it's an illustrator file and it is attached via link in my original post. is there an easy manual way to make these outlines usable that is - remove the background, separate as different lines for each layer and have only one line on each layer? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

They have outlined the text. On top of that it's inside a clipping mask.

There's not a lot you can do there. Other than re-typing it of course.

Why can't you use InDesign and edit the source file?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

they don't supply us with the indesign file so I don't have it. it's a weird pipeline think between the post production house I am working in vs the agency supplying the artwork and this is what they came up with. I thought maybe there's  a step by step process to make this work for me beside asking for the indesign file. they don't supply the font either. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Probably tell them how much time you waste with their project. I mean, that's insane.

Or do they pay you by the hour?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 25, 2021 May 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

yeah, guess if there's no other way of "fixing" it (some set of operations to make it easyliy editable), I will try to change the way they give us these files. thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines