• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Illustrator is incredibly slow when editing text

Community Beginner ,
Sep 30, 2020 Sep 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a file with 12 artboards, each containing 2 text area boxes. Editing the text in each box is painfully slow. Just adding an underline to a word will take 10 seconds. I've closed every other app, but it doesn't help.

Any ideas on how to improve the performance? I know I don't have the best setup, but this performance seems exceptionally bad. 

Surface Book

Windows 10

8 GB RAM

TOPICS
Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Sorry to hear about this. Would you mind sharing version of the Illustrator? Does it happen while working on a specific file or all?

You may try resetting preferences of the app and see if it helps.

**Please note that resetting preferences will remove all the custom settings and Illustrator will launch with default settings. You can also take a backup of the folders in case you want to. Location is mentioned in the article.

Let us know how it goes. Looking forward to your response.

Regards,

Ashutosh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the suggestions! Resetting preferences didn't help. When I edit similar files with fewer art boards the performance is better, but there's still a lag every time I edit the text. 

My version of Illustrator is 24.3 (64 bit). 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It seems to be related to linked text boxes. When I create and edit text boxes that aren't linked, there's no problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Oct 01, 2020 Oct 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for replying. It looks like a file specific issue. When you try to work similarly on a new document, do you see the same behavior?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 02, 2020 Oct 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I think it's context specific. When I work on a file with many linked text boxes the performance suffers. 

Thanks for everyone's help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have not had any issues on my PC Tower or Wacom MobileStudio Pro.... both running Windows 10.

However, how is your computer?

One needs more information in order to problem solve this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My computer is about 5 years old, I think

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines