• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

illustrator is saving the file under a new name everytime i hit 'save'

Community Beginner ,
Jan 12, 2020 Jan 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hi! i have issues with saving an illustrator file. let's say i have a document called screen1.ai (and i'm working on it in illustrator). everytime i hit cmd-s (save), it saves the document under a new filename called screen1 2.ai (whilst still working in illustrator on the document screen1.ai) few hours later after saving the same document a few times i have 6 different versions on my laptop of the same document! screen1.ai (the oldest), screen1 2.ai, screen1 3.ai, screen1 4.ai, screen1 5.ai and screen1 5.ai...

why is illustrator doing this? i just want it to update the screen1.ai document everytime i save THAT document...

i have the latest version of Adobe Illustrator, but i have had this problem since the beginning (but i always forgot to save my document throughout the process. i just saved it when i was done lol). one time illustrator crashed and my whole document was gone, because i didn't save it while working on it. now i hit cmd-s every halfhour and as a result i have 6 versions of the same document :))))

TOPICS
Import and export , Sync and storage

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Which system?

Which version?

Exactly where do you save files?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i have a macbook pro and i've updated illustrator to 24.0.2. i just save the document in 'documents'.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Which system?

Are all user privileges set up correctly?

And also: do you use any virus protection, backup software ...?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 13, 2020 Jan 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i have macOS catalina 10.15.2. intelcore i5. i don't know what you mean by user privileges lol. i don't use any virus protection atm

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 13, 2020 Jan 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Then please read the Catalina documentation on how to set the user privileges and all the new security features it introduced.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

maybe this happen when you open an illustrator file with older version.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i had the same problem with (all of the) older versions of illustrator... i have illustrator for 3 yrs now

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 02, 2020 Apr 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having this exact same problem but i am having it with illusrator cs6. Anyone know why this happens? It is really annoying!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 30, 2020 Apr 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been having the same issue and it's been driving me nuts, but I think I might've figured it out! (At least one answer, that is.)

I use iCloud storage, and since I have pretty limited storage on my MacBook, files back up really quickly to the cloud. When the .ai file I'm currently working on does this and shows the cloud icon next to the file, illustrator isn't able to save over my source file, and it makes copies renumbered the exact same way the OP described. I've found that redownloading the file back off the cloud in its finder location has solved this and allows me to save without creating obnoxious copies. 

tldr: Make sure your file is downloaded before you save! Hope this helps! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 27, 2021 Apr 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OMG Thank YOU!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 05, 2022 Apr 05, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

🙌

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines