Highlighted

Illustrator Issue - PDF

New Here ,
Jul 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a file a PDF (2 pages), I opened the PDF up in Illustrator, page 1 only; I've made a modification to page 1 and save it (and close it) but when I open it up in Acrobat to verify it looks correct, I found that it deleted page 2 upon saving it in Illustrator. Before the update this has never happened to me before and now has created issues at work with missing pages. Is there some new file handling option that I need to modify? or is this a glitch?

TOPICS
Bug

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Illustrator Issue - PDF

New Here ,
Jul 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a file a PDF (2 pages), I opened the PDF up in Illustrator, page 1 only; I've made a modification to page 1 and save it (and close it) but when I open it up in Acrobat to verify it looks correct, I found that it deleted page 2 upon saving it in Illustrator. Before the update this has never happened to me before and now has created issues at work with missing pages. Is there some new file handling option that I need to modify? or is this a glitch?

TOPICS
Bug

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Jul 01, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Jul 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Important: PDF was never meant for editing and Illustrator is not a general purpose PDF editor.

Did you "Save" or "Save as" when you were done?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 01, 2020 0
New Here ,
Jul 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just "save", as doing a "save as" will only save the open page; whereas, in the past a "save" would update only the page one and leave the rest of the document intact.

A lot of files we get from clients are in PDFs but we will have to modify them for print, and doing so in Acrobat can mess up the formatting.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 01, 2020 0
Jul 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't replicate it, so looks like it's not a generic issue.

Did you already update to 24.2.1?

Did you reset the preferences after updating?

Curious: What kind of prepress preparation does alter a PDF?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 02, 2020 0
New Here ,
Jul 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have confirmed that I am on the most up-to-date version (24.2.1), this issue has happened on two separate computers (Macs running Catalina), with different 2-page documents; each time after saving, I reopen the PDF to find only the single page I had made modifications to.

I guess the work around is to export each page separately, modify the one and then combine them back again but that a lot of extra steps when you have 50 different files.

People need us to modify a file with updated information, graphics, PMS colors, create dies...etc and all they have is a PDF file. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 02, 2020 0
Jul 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you reset the preferences?

Where do you save the files?

Also can you try and uncheck the option "Save in background" in the Preferences > File handling & Clipboard

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 02, 2020 0