• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Illustrator Keeps Crashing on File Open

Community Beginner ,
Dec 10, 2013 Dec 10, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello. I am trying to open a file in CC Illustrator for Windows and I continue to get the following error message. I was able to open and edit the AI file before the most recent update. Can you please help? Below is the error message. I have applied the most recent update. I have also went through the forms, may have missed something, but haven't been able to solve it through the recommendations listed. Thanks much. 

"Adobe Illustrator CC has stopped working A problem caused the program to stop working correctly. Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is available."  This happens with new files and existing files.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

New Here , May 24, 2015 May 24, 2015

Hello,

This strange behaviour happened to me yesterday ... illustrator CC (only) start normally but crashes immediatly on creating or opening file....

I began reinstalling the app... looking aroud forums around the world...

and then I found that post : Re: Illustrator CC crashes on creating new document, or opening existing file

where I found what to look at : THE DEFAULT PRINTER (in my case, was not powered and connected to a NAS device so was unreachable by illustrator)

I just had to CHANGE THE DE

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee , Sep 15, 2020 Sep 15, 2020

Hi all,

We understand how frustrating crashes can be. We have consolidated the most popular solutions that help in fixing these issues and also, how you can recover unsaved documents after a crash. Please check this help article for more details.

If you still need help, feel free to reach out, we'd be happy to help.

Regards,

Srishti

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
New Here ,
Mar 25, 2020 Mar 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Saved me!!! Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 12, 2021 Jun 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

the default printer did not work for me but turning off the GPU preferences did. Thanks!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 17, 2019 Apr 17, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I discovered the source of the problem.

@michalf63166855 said turning off GPU rendering did the trick for him. This is a workaround, not a diagnosis. The real problem is settings within the GPU settings app released by the manufacturer of the GPU. For an nVidia card, modify the 3D settings for Illustrator in the nVidia Control Panel. I had enabled some 3D enhancements for all of my programs and games in the Global Settings. This caused a problem with Illustrator, so I had to specifically disable these for the Illustrator executable.

Manage 3D settings > Program Settings > Select a program to customize > Adobe Illustrator (illustrator.exe)

-> Change all settings to the default settings for the card. If you changed the "Global Settings", the "Program Settings" must be reverted to what they were prior to your modifications of the Global Settings. Every Program Setting that can be set to "Application Controlled" needs to be set to "Application Controlled".

These two changes fixed the problem for me:

~Anti-aliasing mode: Application controlled

~Vertical sync: Use the 3D application setting

The "default printer" problem makes zero sense. No programmer would ever check for a printer during a file read. A does not imply B.

@Adobe you need to fix your GPU code to handle the error and give a helpful message, instead of crashing the program.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 18, 2019 Apr 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

AMDphreak  schrieb

The "default printer" problem makes zero sense. No programmer would ever check for a printer during a file read. A does not imply B.

That might be the case.

But during the recent 10 years on the forums we have seen in countless threads that an unavailable printer causes Illustrator to crash during opening a file and that connecting a printer or setting up a PDF printer solves this. And yes, it has been isolated to this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 31, 2020 Mar 31, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The printer fix solved my problem aswell. 
Version 24.1.1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 10, 2020 Jun 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thx for sharing this!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Sep 15, 2020 Sep 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

We understand how frustrating crashes can be. We have consolidated the most popular solutions that help in fixing these issues and also, how you can recover unsaved documents after a crash. Please check this help article for more details.

If you still need help, feel free to reach out, we'd be happy to help.

Regards,

Srishti

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 15, 2021 Jan 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

WOW. just wow. This worked for me and it's EIGHT YEARS LATER. windows. adobe. get your SHIRTS on straight. gawd. drove me nuts for an hour....and then swapped my default printer to a different one. voila. FUNKING crap software...side from the awesome design capabilities part.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines