• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Illustrator keeps crashing when opening existing file.

New Here ,
Jun 17, 2020 Jun 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been having an issue with Illustrator CC (24.1) quitting unexpectedly every time I open a file. I am running MacOS Mojave 10.14.6.  Creating new files does not crash. I have looked at a lot of other posts on this and many solutions have not worked. I have reset the preferences, turned off GPU Performance, made sure my default printer was connected, restarted the computer, etc. I had my coworker open the files on his computer and they open fine so it's not the files. Illustrator seems to work fine in Safe Boot. It seems to be only with AI files. PDF, eps and raster files open fine. Below is my crash report. What do you guys think is going on?

EDIT - Crash report in pastebin 

https://pastebin.com/UtTEh13e

TOPICS
Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please don't post Crash reports in forum posts. Link them on pastebin.

Do you have any plugins?

System extensions? Anything that doesn't load in Safe mode?

Are all fonts OK?

Does that happen with just some files or all? What is in the files? Where are the files located?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry about the code. I will remember for next time.

No extensions or plugins in the program.

We use Universal Type Server and all the fonts are okay. I even tried disconnecting UTS and trying again, but no fix.

It happens with all the files. I have tried opening them from the server and opening them from the desktop.

They are layered art files/book designs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since it doesn't happen in Safe Mode, it looks like there is something about your user folder that interferes.

Are there files linked in the AI files? Probably files located on servers?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The linked files have never caused issue before. Usually I just open and relink. Most of the files I have tested do not have anything linked anyways.  I have tried both local and server based files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In your case someone might need to take a look inside your system. Please contact Customer Care. They can do that: https://helpx.adobe.com/contact.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did some more tests and its only AI files. (Also edited and added this note to my original post) EPS, PDF and jpg/png open fine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Sep 07, 2020 Sep 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi there,

Sorry about this trouble. I am hopeful that the issue was fixed. If not, we have recently released an update for Illustrator 2020 (v 24.3) which contains some stability fixes. If you are not already on v24.3, then we recommend you to update to latest version.

If that doesn't help, try steps shared in this help article and share your observations with us.

Regards,

Srishti

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines