• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Illustrator keeps opening multiple instances while opening or placing the files.

Community Beginner ,
Sep 19, 2019 Sep 19, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Illustrator on my Mac keeps opening a new instance for each file I open - either from Bridge or from Finder - even if i select an image in Bridge to "place" inside an open doc, it opens a new instance and a new doc to place it in. Its driving me crazy.

Anyone have an Ideas? (illustrator settings are set to open docs as tabs)

{Renamed by MOD}

TOPICS
Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jim,

Sorry to hear that you are facing problems while opening the files in Illustrator. As per your query, whenever you open a file or select an image to place in Illustrator it opens a new instance of Illustrator. That's definitely not a typical experince with Illustrator. I would request if you can share a few more details like:

Looking forward to your response!

Regards,

Srishti

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi - This on the latest version of Illustrator CC - 2019, OSX version 10.14.6. No new software on the mac recently (this has been happening for about a month). I have tried safe mode and I have tried deleting preference files etc.

screenshot attached

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 27, 2019 Sep 27, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Still no reply to this? a week later?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Sep 30, 2019 Sep 30, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry about the delay in response. Try login to Root Account (https://support.apple.com/en-in/HT204012). Check how application works there. If it works fine there, then it could be related to permission errors. Follow these steps to repair permission errors:https://helpx.adobe.com/in/illustrator/kb/preferences-folder-read-only-error.html 

If that doesn't help either, we need to troubleshoot this on a live session. Please head here (https://helpx.adobe.com/support.html) and select the chat button in the lower-right corner of the page. We can help on a remote session that way. 

Regards!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 03, 2020 Nov 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am experiencing this issue as well. Any resolution? Windows 10, Illustrator 25.0.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 09, 2021 Apr 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm on a PC, Windows 10 and just updated Illustrator to 24.3.  Immediately after updating, I have experienced this problem.  Whenever I select an existing Illustrator file with Illustrator already open, another instance opens.  How do I stop this? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 09, 2021 Apr 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Problem resolved.  I had a shortcut to version 2020 in startup.  When I selected an AI file, it opened version 2021.  I replaced the shortcut in startup with 2021. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines