Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Illustrator line art to svg continuous line art

Community Beginner ,
Mar 25, 2020 Mar 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

There must be a way to do this. I have line art illustrations. I need to export as an svg but combine all my various pen tool lines into one contineous line so the whole illustration can be animated in simple CSS. (ie filled with a color) This isn't a converstion question so much as a how to combine all the lines into the one line.

Here's an example of one of the drawings. This is a png but that's not important.

https://imgur.com/KTxvWwz

TOPICS
Draw and design , Import and export , Scripting , Third party plugins

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Mar 26, 2020 Mar 26, 2020

Yeah. I was hoping for a magic bullet. Pathfinder can't do what I'd like.  I'm just going to redraw as I need to. Thank you kindly.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Mar 25, 2020 Mar 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You want this to be just 1 line? That's not possible.

There cannot be Y-connections (with 3 path segments joining)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 26, 2020 Mar 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

asuming "line" means "object", you can do that. Select all of the shapes and use Pathfinder > Unite.

As Monika says, you can't have this shape as a single line, but you could convert it to one conncected object or even a compound path.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 26, 2020 Mar 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah. I was hoping for a magic bullet. Pathfinder can't do what I'd like.  I'm just going to redraw as I need to. Thank you kindly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 12, 2021 Jan 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Man,

I was having a lot of the same issues and I fixed it by selecting all the elements and selecting object>flatten transparancy.

Hope this helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 12, 2021 Jan 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you I'll try it

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 07, 2022 Jul 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a piece of artwork that is made up of both lines and outline shapes. When it's converted to DXF format I need everything to be continuous and connected. The "group" tool does'nt work for DXF,  I used the Shape Builder tool but this fills in the shape, which is not what I want......How do I connect everything but keep the shape as an outline?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As answered above you cannot havet 3 line segments joining in the same spot, you may need to construct it this way with lines on top of each other.

Screenshot 2022-07-07 at 19.14.55.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Ton, I can re-work it based on your recommendation  -appreciate the help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I hope that works for you, be aware that, if you want to use it for cutting or engraving devices, some lines will be cut or engraved twice.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines