Illustrator links missing every time

New Here ,
Jun 06, 2012 Jun 06, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Every time I open an Illustrator file, I get an error that it can't find my links and I have to re-link all of my images. Why is this happening, when I haven't moved either the linked image or the Illustrator file? Even if I save my Illustrator file, then open it right back up this happens.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If the linked files are in the same folder with the Illustrator file they will never be missing. Illustrator first searches for them in the same folder where the file is. If not then Illustrator searches in the linked file path location and if they are not there too, it shows the warring message. You can see which path location the Illustrator is looking for if you open the file with the missing link after ignoring the replacement dialog, from the Window menu open Document info panel, and from the panel's menu choose Linked Images. The path shown there should be the same as the current location of the linked files.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, I am able to relink the images, but it's tedious to do every single time, especially when many of my files contain several images. I keep them in a central images folder so I don't bog down my project folders. I just need to know why this is happening and how to correct it permanently.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So, did you check the Document Info panel? Does it show the same path as the location of the files or it shows a different path?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 27, 2018 Jul 27, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know this is an old thread but to this day this issue STILL persists, everyday I spend the first five minutes of my files open relinking files. Unless you only ever work off of your own desktop for some reason why would you ever keep all your links in the same folder as your working files? I would put money that most users work in a shared environment, images and photos and any other asset you would place in your documents would be in a catalog of assets in a networked folder. You can't save everything locally all the time. I've been forced to embed all my placed assets until I'm done with the job and then relink them with the original files hoping I won't need to go back to that particular file again.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jul 31, 2018 Jul 31, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Keep your files in a folder called Links next to your AI documents. It will automatically update broken links if you move them around.

It doesn't directly solve your problem, but it means you can replace every single local image with "real" images in one fell swoop without having to click through a bunch of dialog boxes.

Good luck!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jun 15, 2017 Jun 15, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After experimenting with Packages, I found that Illustrator will always look for a "Links" or "links" folder with placed files.

It has to be in the same folder as the AI document.

You can them move the Illustrator file and its placed files where you want and every time you open the AI file the links will be automatically updated.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 10, 2021 May 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This happens to me EVERY TIME and it's so so SO annying. Can adobe fix this issue please.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,
May 10, 2021 May 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Where do you save your files?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 16, 2021 Jun 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having this issue as well, It is a constant problem as I use photos of vehicle to design graphics for them. All of my photos are automatically uploaded to my cloud folder, in this case onedrive, and I link them to the file from this folder. I never relocate any of my photos butI always have to re-establish the links. If we could specify the link folder in Illustrator to the root photo directory this could be a solution.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You could try to create a folder named Links next to the Illustrator file and put the images in there.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Which is quicker/less tedious: moving your files to the same folder as your AI file once, or relinking each time you open the file?

Your mileage may vary (auto design joke thrown in for free).

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines