• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Illustrator links missing every time

New Here ,
Jun 06, 2012 Jun 06, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Every time I open an Illustrator file, I get an error that it can't find my links and I have to re-link all of my images. Why is this happening, when I haven't moved either the linked image or the Illustrator file? Even if I save my Illustrator file, then open it right back up this happens.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If the linked files are in the same folder with the Illustrator file they will never be missing. Illustrator first searches for them in the same folder where the file is. If not then Illustrator searches in the linked file path location and if they are not there too, it shows the warring message. You can see which path location the Illustrator is looking for if you open the file with the missing link after ignoring the replacement dialog, from the Window menu open Document info panel, and from the panel's menu choose Linked Images. The path shown there should be the same as the current location of the linked files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, I am able to relink the images, but it's tedious to do every single time, especially when many of my files contain several images. I keep them in a central images folder so I don't bog down my project folders. I just need to know why this is happening and how to correct it permanently.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So, did you check the Document Info panel? Does it show the same path as the location of the files or it shows a different path?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 27, 2018 Jul 27, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know this is an old thread but to this day this issue STILL persists, everyday I spend the first five minutes of my files open relinking files. Unless you only ever work off of your own desktop for some reason why would you ever keep all your links in the same folder as your working files? I would put money that most users work in a shared environment, images and photos and any other asset you would place in your documents would be in a catalog of assets in a networked folder. You can't save everything locally all the time. I've been forced to embed all my placed assets until I'm done with the job and then relink them with the original files hoping I won't need to go back to that particular file again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jul 31, 2018 Jul 31, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Keep your files in a folder called Links next to your AI documents. It will automatically update broken links if you move them around.

It doesn't directly solve your problem, but it means you can replace every single local image with "real" images in one fell swoop without having to click through a bunch of dialog boxes.

Good luck!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 26, 2021 Aug 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

AI isn't doing a task that it has provided seamlessly for DECADES! What's up with this? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jun 15, 2017 Jun 15, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After experimenting with Packages, I found that Illustrator will always look for a "Links" or "links" folder with placed files.

It has to be in the same folder as the AI document.

You can them move the Illustrator file and its placed files where you want and every time you open the AI file the links will be automatically updated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 26, 2021 Aug 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Andrew. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 10, 2021 May 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This happens to me EVERY TIME and it's so so SO annying. Can adobe fix this issue please.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 10, 2021 May 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Where do you save your files?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 16, 2021 Jun 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having this issue as well, It is a constant problem as I use photos of vehicle to design graphics for them. All of my photos are automatically uploaded to my cloud folder, in this case onedrive, and I link them to the file from this folder. I never relocate any of my photos butI always have to re-establish the links. If we could specify the link folder in Illustrator to the root photo directory this could be a solution.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You could try to create a folder named Links next to the Illustrator file and put the images in there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Which is quicker/less tedious: moving your files to the same folder as your AI file once, or relinking each time you open the file?

Your mileage may vary (auto design joke thrown in for free).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 10, 2021 Jul 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As different projects often use the same pictures, it could be space-consuming to copy assets to every folder where each project is.

The problem had persisted since 2012 and really affect the workflow, as many other softwares both developed and not developed by adobe supports links outside the project's folder; this is a problem caused not by the users but the dereliction of the developers, as for the whole 9 years, adobe never have any intention to fix it AT ALL.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 10, 2021 Jul 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

cloud storage like onedrive always sync. when u work on 2 device with one project. It's sometimes conflict. cause onedrive have feature "file on demand". maybe try to make your folder or file is "always keep on this device" to make your folder or files always available.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 07, 2021 Sep 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have this Problem slod everytime. I have the Files in another folder but it can't be that I can't link to another folder.
If I copy the linked file to the new folder than I get a horrible situation because its a logo and every chgange must be constant to every file.

Cheers

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 28, 2022 Jan 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

2022 - Is there some reason why this can't be fixed.  Other apps can use relative file paths with no problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 12, 2022 Feb 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's been working just fine for YEARS... and it works just fine in inDesign... with the same linked files in the same places. 

Something is funky for sure. I've been putting up with it for the last number of months but i'm over it... this needs a solution. Maybe it's something to do with cloud stored files, and i'd understand that - maybe there's a new protocol that's looking for an IP address or something?? but whatever it is... we need a solution. It's extraordinarily annoying to pay this much money for software and have to spend so much time FIXING things that should work every time we open a file. 

The entire point of linking files is so we don't have to duplicate assets to use them across different documents! Sigh.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 16, 2022 Oct 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I struggled with this for awhile. After you have re-linked and restored all of the broken links, in the small drop down menu located upper right of links box, select "embed images" Be sure all layers are unlocked first btw. Once embedded, I have not had a broken link problem since. I cannot believe no one has posted this solution yet....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 13, 2023 Nov 13, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Because it's not really a solution: embedded images will increase the file size massively. The whole point of this is that you should be able to link the same image source to many different .ai files without having to create image duplicates.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 19, 2022 Apr 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah if only Adobe cared

in the most polite tone Adobe: what the youknowdamnwellwhatIwanttosay.

Over 10 years... and you're not getting that much better, you get that right?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Jun 06, 2022 Jun 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You have broken externally linked files ADOBE!!!!!!!

FIX THIS !!!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 12, 2022 Jul 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you "Save As" there's an Illustrator Box the pops up. Look for the "Illustrator Options" section, then check "Include Linked Files". The picture file should be there the next time you open the project. You won't have to search anymore.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 12, 2022 Jul 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

but include links are not teh same as save external linked images with.
The option you mentioned is embedding a file. This doesn't help if you have CD Logos or even like this and they will be changed automatically if you replace the external files.

Cheers

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines