• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Illustrator not exporting at correct pixel size...

Community Beginner ,
Oct 04, 2011 Oct 04, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, im having trouble setting up an illustrator doc that exports at the correct size so i can work with exported elements in photoshop, using CS5 for both.

What i am trying to do is set up a wireframe illustrator doc for creating iphone 4 artwork, the iphone4 screen size is 640px x 960px (326ppi).

So, i have set illustrator to measure units (general, stroke & type) in pixels, then created an artboard 640 x 960. If i draw a shape to fill the artboard then export it, the exported image is 2892px x 4348px

Similarly, if i create an image in photoshop thats 640px x 960px, then open that image with illustrator, the artboard thats created for it is 141.35px x 212.025px

Can anyone suggest what might be causing this? and how i can correct it so that my pixel measurements match in both programs?

thanks

Richard

TOPICS
Import and export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Oct 04, 2011 Oct 04, 2011

Richard,

The issue is your somehow using the resolution 326 PPI. Stop doing that.

A pixel is a relative size; the size in absolute units such as inches, millimeters, or points, depends on the resolution. You may have a 1 x 1 pixel image the size of a football field, and a 1000 x 1000 px image the size of a stamp.

In other words, when you have an image with a size in pixel x pixel, that and that alone is your image size in the file, which may then become any size on any of the possible chosen media.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
New Here ,
Apr 04, 2012 Apr 04, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Pretty easy fix. Seams as though everyone above hasn't got a clue....especially the idiots rampling on about the Swedes...Danes...etc..

Here is your answer.  Set your canvas to 960 px tall by 600 px wide (960x600). Ok, now go to "Effect" in the menu bar. Then choose "Document Raster Effect Settings".  Under "Resolution" choose "Other" and set your resolution to 326ppi.  You are done.

A simple explanation for pixels and resolution can be summed up into one phrase "pixel density". A pixel is not a standard unit of measure. A device like the iPhone 4 has a pixel density of 326 ppi (pixels per inch). That is not the standard display resolution of most computers and devices which until recent years was 72 ppi. A device with 326 ppi and one with 72 ppi both with display dimensions of 900px by 600px will have one major difference. That difference is clarity due to more pixels in a square inch. Which is obviously seen when you compare an iPhone 3G to a iPhone 4.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,
Apr 05, 2012 Apr 05, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi justjoshuasp and welcome to the forum,

First, did you register to the Adobe forums just to respond to this 7 months old thread?

Second, ...

justjoshuasp wrote:

Pretty easy fix. Seams as though everyone above hasn't got a clue....especially the idiots rampling on about the Swedes...Danes...etc..

what did you drink before your wrote that ?

Third, what do you expect to happen when changing the "Document Raster Effect Settings". The OP didn't mention  anything about using raster effects and unless such effects are used these settings will make no difference. 

Forth, while your statement about higher ppi adding more clarity is correct, have in mind that this is valid mostly when comparing the same size with different pixel density, otherwise your general conclusions and logic is wrong. The major difference between different pixel densities is not clarity but the size of the pixels and thus the size of the final image - the clarity is  by-product of this. In order to define clarity you have to add the viewing distance in the equation. I have created images for billboards and huge digital murals with pixel density of 10 ppi and I can assure you that all images with such sizes are created with similar pixel density. According to your logic they should be completely unclear and impossible to see comparing to images displayed on i-phones.

When creating for phones and other small displays, in order to see exact details of the final raster image with nothing less or more, the vector graphic in illustrator has to be zoomed to the same physical size on your screen that Photoshop is displaying at 100% zoom using an image with the final pixel dimensions. it is also a good idea to have the image on an additional window zoomed out to the real physical size of the phone screen to get the feel of the final physical dimensions. But because desktop monitors don't have the high pixel density of the phones, the detail will be lost when displaying the real size. Moving a little bit away from the screen to Increase the viewing distance when looking at the larger image with all details in it, can very well approximate the final experience.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Correct Pixel Size thread lives.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This whole thread could be avoided if when you set an Illustrator document to pixels, an export option of "output pixels 1:1" would appear instead of the (soon to be obsolete) "screen 72 ppi" option.

(It also could have been avoided if people learn the difference (of worlds) between pixels, points and inches.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

eobet wrote:

This whole thread could be avoided if when you set an Illustrator document to pixels, an export option of "output pixels 1:1" would appear instead of the (soon to be obsolete) "screen 72 ppi" option....

Please, define what do you mean by "output pixels 1:1" or just simply say what will be the new number replacing  the 72 ppi.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 05, 2014 Aug 05, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Richard,

I have the solution.

Mail me ur id.

Thanks

Bijoy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 09, 2018 Nov 09, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

sir please let me know how to export to the image and design done in illustrator to jpeg format as a4 size correctly fitted to the page

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 09, 2018 Nov 09, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://forums.adobe.com/people/jasir+muhammed  schrieb

sir please let me know how to export to the image and design done in illustrator to jpeg format as a4 size correctly fitted to the page

Set up your artboard as A4, design it and then use Export > Export as > JPEG. Select an appropriate resolution.

Most probably it will be better to send a PDF for printing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 09, 2019 Aug 09, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So the actual solution for this is to align the artboard by using the artboard tool to the whole pixel number in X and Y coordinates. Example: If your X coordinate for the artboard is 324,5 px, you'll get an extra pixel while exporting.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 05, 2021 Jul 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had the same issue with my pixel sizes exporting larger than what the artboard said. Turns out you just need to export at 72 PPI and not 300.....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 10, 2021 Jul 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Indeed, Lauren.

The Correct Pixel Size thread lives.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 18, 2022 May 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have artboards set at 500x500 yet when I export I get some that are 501x500, 500x501, and 501x501. I dont think yall understand how blank this is. I have to get on some message board and waste 3 hours trying to figure this dumb blank out. How about the program export exactly what the artboard is? How blank blank are these Adobe developers?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 19, 2022 May 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Make sure the upper left X/Y artboard coordinates do not show fractional pixels.

Double click the intersection of the ruler to reset the 0/0/ point.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 28, 2022 Nov 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Just in case anybody is necroing this topic in 2022, like me...

to switch between 100% web size and 100% print size go to (Ctrl+K) PREFERENCES > GENERAL > Check / Uncheck the "Display print size at 100% zoom"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines