• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Illustrator not updating links automatically

Community Beginner ,
Feb 25, 2020 Feb 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I recall that once upon a time when your file was missing links, if you relinked one file, Illustrator would find all the other linked files in that folder and ask you if you wanted to relink them. Now, Illustrator can only seem to find just the file you are seeking to relink. If I have a file linked twice in a document, Illustrator only relinks one of them, even through they are identical. What happened to this very important time-saving feature? I've been using this application professionally since Illustrator 88, and while it's come a very long way since then, in the last few years it appears to be regressing instead of progressing with the above mentioned example as proof.

{Renamed by MOD}

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
LEGEND ,
Feb 26, 2020 Feb 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Thanks for reaching out. Would you mind sharing the version of OS and Illustrator?
Also, I'd recommend checking out Update Links option under Preference > File handling & Clipboard and make sure it is set properly as per your requirement.

I am also attaching a screenshot for your reference:

Screenshot_8.png

Let us know if it helps.

Regards,

Ashutosh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 06, 2020 Nov 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have also problems with missing linked files.

(I had a long time ago uncheck  the new the includ linked files) 

I checked above preterences, they are the same as yours suggested, so not solution for me..

I have windows 10, and it is uneven issue. I have files on computer. I am used to organizing work around this link problem and I probably challenge the illustrator with amount of linked files and pages.. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 06, 2021 May 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I have the same problem. I tried the suggestion in Preferences as you mentioned, but no luck. I am running Illustrator 2020 on Mac High Sierra 10.13.6. This would be very helpful to figure out!

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 06, 2021 May 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I believe I may have figured out my mistake, I was using a new version of Illustrator and hadn't clicked the "link" checkbox in the Finder when Placing a file. Then after clicking "link" for the first time, subsequent times it was highlighted by default. Hopefully this is helpful to the other posters.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 15, 2022 Feb 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This fixed my problem, thank you !!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Aug 12, 2022 Aug 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, this was the problem.

I believe it is misleading that a placed file is called "linked" in Illustrator even when it is not, in fact, linked at all. Selecting a placed object and clicking on the file name in the top left corner lists the option to "Relink" suggesting that a link exists when this is not the case. Some UI homework for Adobe I believe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 03, 2023 Feb 03, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Where do these settings live now in Illustrator v23?  they are not on this screen and I can't find them. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

prefs.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you, I missed that little box. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines