• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Illustrator not working on new Apple Mac Pro M1 Chip

New Here ,
Apr 03, 2021 Apr 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all, I know there a lots of questions like this out here but I still haven't figured out on how to make Adobe Illustrator and Photoshop work on a Macbook with the M1 Chip. 

Indesign and Lightroom both works fine for me, but Illustrator and Photoshop won't even launch. I tried uninstalling and installing the apps new, I am on the latest apple update (Big Sur 11.2.3), restarted computer etc. but the two apps still won't launch.

Any idea what else I can try?

TOPICS
Bug

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Contributor , Apr 04, 2021 Apr 04, 2021

Hi @Jana90 !

As far as I know you cannot download Rosetta 2 directly from Apple as it is more of a framework that gets installed automatically on-the-fly once you try and run an app with only Intel binary code available in it (you still need to click on the Install button in the pop-up dialog).

An easy way to check if you have Rosetta 2 installed is to see if you have any apps that are Intel only. If they run fine, then you definitely have Rosetta 2 installed on your system.

(You can check the ap

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Contributor ,
Apr 04, 2021 Apr 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jana!

I am using both Illustrator and Photoshop on an M1 MacBook Air and both applications work fine. Illustrator runs via Apple's dynamic binary translator called Rosetta 2 and Photoshop runs natively on the new Macs with the M1 chip since version 22.3.

I know this is not much help but I wanted to assure you there are no hardware incompatibily issues that could prevent those software from launching. Have you tried reaching out to the official support pages for help?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @ZooN_ 

thank you for your answer! That's really weird then that these apps won't work on my new M1 Macbook. Do you know if there is any way to check if Rosetta has actually been installed? I remember when I opened Illustrator the first time, that I got a popup saying it needs to be installed but I don't really remember that I went through an installation process and also can't find it anywhere on my laptop. I also can't find any link to downlaod Rosetta directly

And do you happen to have the links to the official support pages where I can ask for more help? I thought this here was the official support forum haha

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Jana90 !

As far as I know you cannot download Rosetta 2 directly from Apple as it is more of a framework that gets installed automatically on-the-fly once you try and run an app with only Intel binary code available in it (you still need to click on the Install button in the pop-up dialog).

An easy way to check if you have Rosetta 2 installed is to see if you have any apps that are Intel only. If they run fine, then you definitely have Rosetta 2 installed on your system.

(You can check the application kind in the info panel; Intel apps run on Rosetta 2 and Universal apps contain both Intel and native M1 binaries.)

Having said that, the latest version of Photoshop should still launch on your Mac as it is already a Universal 2 binary, ie. it doesn't need Rosetta 2 at all to launch.

Have you tried using the Adobe Creative Cloud Cleaner Tool? It is very thorough but it will reset all your Adobe apps settings so only do it if you're happy to start from scratch. I know it solved most of the issues I have had with Illustrator.

As for the official support channels, you can try on helpx.adobe.com and there is a chat window at the bottom right corner of the page.

Hope this helps.

Cheers

Z

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much for all of that! Super helpful and I will try all the suggestions 🙂 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 12, 2021 May 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Sorry to hear about your experience. You may also try the Adobe Illustrator beta version released for M1 devices. Please follow the instructions given on this community post(https://community.adobe.com/t5/illustrator/illustrator-beta-for-apple-silicon-m1-devices-inviting-us...) & let us know if it helps.

Regards,

Ashutosh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 06, 2021 Sep 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How about rather than forcing the Adobe users that are paying a small fortune for their products to flood their computer with dodgey software or use complicated work-arounds, Adobe fix their myriad of issues and comp everyone with an M1 chip until they do. This is appalling.

Also, it's not just Illustrator. All the apps have glitches and issues if you spend some time on them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 12, 2023 Sep 12, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It took me nearly 6 months for me to get Adobe to admit that the Apple Silicon, native version of AI does not image vector handles (after they told me that on an M1 Apple Studio. Nearly 12 months later still not resolved. So I arranged a discounted subscription until it is. Shame, because I would love to see a speed benefit of the Apple silicon handling complex (or evn simple) vector objects, as I do when rendering 3D models. But at the moment CS6 is more stable on an old Intel Macbook pro. It appears Adobe is going backwards in terms of industry standard software use. Let's see if Affinity do a Quark on them. But I'd prefer Adobe to get Illustrator right after using it since 88. IMO version 8 was the last relatively stable release (and that was in 1998). I remember the rush to buy up stock of v8 when version 9 launched the downward spiral of bugs and workarounds. 25 years and counting... We can live in hope.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 12, 2023 Sep 12, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

The above should have read:
It took nearly 6 months for me to get Adobe to admit that the Apple Silicon native version of AI does not image vector handles (and after Adobe told me that I had to upgrade to an M1 to run the latest version of OS and 'bug-fixed' AI). Nearly 12 months later still not resolved. So I arranged a discounted subscription until it is. Shame, because I would love to see a speed benefit of the Apple silicon handling complex (or even simple) vector objects, as I do when rendering 3D models. But at the moment CS6 is more stable on an old Intel Macbook pro. It appears Adobe is going backwards in terms of industry 'high' standard software production. Maybe Affinity will do a Quark on them. But I'd prefer Adobe to get Illustrator right after using it since 88.
IMO version 8 was the last relatively stable release (and that was in 1998). I remember the rush to buy up stock of v8 when version 9 launched (the downward spiral of bugs and required workarounds). 25 years and counting... We can live in hope. Unfortunately, hope doesn't hit that deadline at 2 in the morning when AI decides to crash again...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines