• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Illustrator on new M1 MacBook Air or iPad Air ?

Community Beginner ,
Nov 10, 2020 Nov 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My wife is a graphic designer and uses illustrator a lot on her 27inch imac

its her birthday and trying to decide what's best to buy her as a gift so she can use illustrator on the road  .. iPad Air with pen or MacBook Air ? And will it run with the new apple M1 processor ??

thanks !

TOPICS
Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Beginner , Nov 18, 2020 Nov 18, 2020

Get her an iPad Air (latest model) or the 12.9 inch Pro, with Pencil, she will love it. As a designer myself using an iPad Pro, I can guarantee it's amazing to work with and be a huge help in any kind of task. There are some amazing apps on iPadOS ( Procreate, Affinity Designer, Affinity Photo, Adobe Illustrator, Vectornator)and for when she needs to work on desktop apps (eg. Photoshop) it can be natively paired with her iMac and work as a graphic tablet 

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND , Nov 18, 2020 Nov 18, 2020

An iPad is NOT a Mac and can't run Mac apps. There is a brand new Mac Illustrator app but it is significantly limited compared to a Mac. This would not be a gift I would make without careful approval, it might be absolutely useless. The question of whether AI files can roundtrip is crucial. 

It's way too early to be considering an M1 Mac for production use... to start with they run Big Sur and it's way too early to run with that. Things might be settling down by Christmas.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Beginner ,
Nov 18, 2020 Nov 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Get her an iPad Air (latest model) or the 12.9 inch Pro, with Pencil, she will love it. As a designer myself using an iPad Pro, I can guarantee it's amazing to work with and be a huge help in any kind of task. There are some amazing apps on iPadOS ( Procreate, Affinity Designer, Affinity Photo, Adobe Illustrator, Vectornator)and for when she needs to work on desktop apps (eg. Photoshop) it can be natively paired with her iMac and work as a graphic tablet 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Got a MacBook Air M1 yesterday !

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 23, 2020 Nov 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, what configurations did you get with your M1 McBook air? I mean how much memory space on your SSD.

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 23, 2020 Nov 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I went for the base model - 256gb ssd - she's not used it yet so can't say if it's ok .. but I'm sure after reading the reviews it will be fine - I can always add an external

drive if needed ..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

An iPad is NOT a Mac and can't run Mac apps. There is a brand new Mac Illustrator app but it is significantly limited compared to a Mac. This would not be a gift I would make without careful approval, it might be absolutely useless. The question of whether AI files can roundtrip is crucial. 

It's way too early to be considering an M1 Mac for production use... to start with they run Big Sur and it's way too early to run with that. Things might be settling down by Christmas.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Took the plunge and got a MacBook Air ... she'll love it - and after reading reviews yesterday it should work with creative cloud just fine ... hopefully! Thanks 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

She does already have a Mac. Considering this, the iPad would be a great companion machine ( can't be a main machine yet but it's getting close). I've personally tested and used Illustrator on iPad since release and it works beautifully, exports AI files just fine to carry on the work on the Mac when needed, and drawing vectors with the Pencil is an amazing experience. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

She does already have a Mac. Considering this, the iPad would be a great companion machine ( can't be a main machine yet but it's getting close). I've personally tested and used Illustrator on iPad since release and it works beautifully, exports AI files just fine to carry on the work on the Mac when needed, and drawing vectors with the Pencil is an amazing experience. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines