• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Illustrator packaging duplicates of same linked image when working on portable drive

Community Beginner ,
Feb 08, 2021 Feb 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello all,

Recently Illustrator has started duplicating the same image when used multiple times in the same document, but only if I work off my portable drive. Attached is an example of what I'm referring to. Left is when I save on my local HDD and package the file, Illustrator treats the same image (even though it's used multiple times) as one base image. But if I work off my portable drive (which is 99.99% of my work) it duplicates the image several times, once for every linked instance (right side). I've looked at my settings and online and can't find an answer. Help?

Thank you in advance!

TOPICS
Bug , Performance , Sync and storage

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Beginner ,
Feb 08, 2021 Feb 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For some reason I can't edit my post, so I'm adding that I am using the latest version of Illustrator (25.1) on a Mac running Mojave (I'm keeping it for now since a program I use won't run on more recent versions of Mac OS). I'm also embedding the issue below so no one needs to download the image file.

Issue.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Mar 19, 2021 Mar 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Sorry for the delayed response. I am hopeful that the issue was fixed. If not, please share a few more details like:

• OS and version of Illustrator
  • Is the issue related to a specific document? If yes, could you please share the document with us? You can upload it to the Creative Cloud (https://helpx.adobe.com/in/creative-cloud/help/share.html) and share the download link.
  • Where are the packages are being saved (Network Drive/ System HDD/ Shared Folder on System /External HDD)?

I have checked it's working fine at my end. You may also try the sugestions shared on this page ( https://community.adobe.com/t5/illustrator/resolve-slow-performance-and-unexpected-behaviors-in-illu... ) and share you observations with us.

Regards,

Srishti

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 29, 2023 Oct 29, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Srishti,

I was just looking to see if other people had experiecned this, and looks like they have. 

This is still an issue, I've noticed it for about a year or so, but am getting more frustrated ith it. I'm working on a brand new MAC Studio, and latest version of macOS (Sonoma 14.0) and Illustrator (2024). 

The files are being saved in a linked folder, that is creakted when you 'package' the file. However I did just try and package, with various options of turning off 'collect links in seprate foler' and 'relink linked files to documnent'. When I turned off the second option (relink linked files to documnent) it resolved the issue. 

I was also getting frustrated that when the grid was turned on, it slowed down the file DRASTICALLY (even working on more powerful computers). however this appears to be better from a recent update. \

Thanks, Kim

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Dec 15, 2023 Dec 15, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello @kimj89927660,

Sorry for the delayed response. I hope the problem is resolved by now. If not, would you mind trying to do this from a folder on your computer's internal drive and checking if it helps?

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Thanks,

Anubhav

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 29, 2023 Oct 29, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi blue-pills...

not sure if you're still having this issue, I was, however just resolved it (kind of) when I was writing a follow up to Adobe. If you turn off the option for 'relink linked files to document', it no longer creates mulitple duplicates of the same file (_1, _2, _3, _4, etc). I'm not sure why that is, its a little annoying, but that'll fix it. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 29, 2024 Feb 29, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you so much!!!!! Finally I resolved this problem!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines