Highlighted

Illustrator paintbrush tool won't stay in basic linetype it keeps switching back to the previous one

New Here ,
Jun 06, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

the pen tool wont stop changing itself from basic line and its stopping me from being able to do my project. every time i change it it switches back to the previous chosen. completely useless in this state. god damn annoying

Message was edited by: Srishti Bali

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by Monika Gause | Adobe Community Professional

Have you set up the setting in the Appearance panel ? Turned off "New art has basic appearance"?

That's important.

Also: What exactly do you want the artwork to look like?

And then: In Illustrator a stroke or a brush are attributes of a path. They can be applied and changed later on.

But: the brush tool saves everything you do with your stylus into the path. This only makes sense with a brush. Only then you can also see it. That's just how the tool works. You don't like how the tool works? Make a feature request. Feature Request/Bug Report Form

But until then it's how the tool works and you will have to use the pencil tool if you want to draw with a plain stroke.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Illustrator paintbrush tool won't stay in basic linetype it keeps switching back to the previous one

New Here ,
Jun 06, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

the pen tool wont stop changing itself from basic line and its stopping me from being able to do my project. every time i change it it switches back to the previous chosen. completely useless in this state. god damn annoying

Message was edited by: Srishti Bali

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by Monika Gause | Adobe Community Professional

Have you set up the setting in the Appearance panel ? Turned off "New art has basic appearance"?

That's important.

And then: In Illustrator a stroke or a brush are attributes of a path. They can be applied and changed later on.

But: the brush tool saves everything you do with your stylus into the path. This only makes sense with a brush. Only then you can also see it. That's just how the tool works. You don't like how the tool works? Make a feature request. Feature Request/Bug Report Form

But until then it's how the tool works and you will have to use the pencil tool if you want to draw with a plain stroke.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Jun 06, 2017 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Jun 06, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please tell us step by step what exactly is happening.

Also please try: open the appearance panel and in the menu uncheck "New art has basic appearance". Maybe that solves it already.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 06, 2017 0
New Here ,
Jun 06, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The illustrator paintbrush tool won't stay in basic linetype it keeps

switching back to the previous one

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 06, 2017 0
Jun 07, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Basic" brush is not a brush at all. It's just a plain old stroke.

The brush tool cannot draw with a plain stroke. It can only draw with a real brush.

If you want to draw with a plain stroke, use the pencil tool.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 07, 2017 0
New Here ,
Jun 07, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ok doesn't really make sense why not. why can i not draw in basic but i can

switch it to basic after? anyway now my tablet wont draw wit illustrator

either it just clicks at the point of contact and wont drag

On Wed, Jun 7, 2017 at 4:34 AM, Monika Gause <forums_noreply@adobe.com>

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 07, 2017 0
New Here ,
Jun 07, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

the pencil tool wont stay the same width when im using it either it keeps

switching to no weight and is invisible after changing it to my desired

look.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 07, 2017 0
Jun 07, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's important.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 07, 2017 0
New Here ,
Jun 07, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes that setting has been adjusted with seemingly no result. Sorry about

the hostility I'm just annoyed with the vast amount of bugs my computer

seems to have in comparison to others I've used. Illustrator and Photoshop

just don't have the same names placement or effects for the "same" tool so

I'm frustrated

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 07, 2017 0
New Here ,
Jun 07, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

oops didnt mean to send that draft. anyway im able to continue working with

the liens however. can i trace a black and transparent png into a shape

with trace in illustrator? it wont recognise the lines and change them into

shapes it just turns it into a square and adds white between the lines. its

linework i had in illustrator then took to photoshop now want de-rasterized

i guess

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 07, 2017 0
Jun 07, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It would really help if you could post screenshots to illustrate your issue.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 07, 2017 0
New Here ,
Jun 07, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

non disclosure agreement

On Wed, Jun 7, 2017 at 3:37 PM, Monika Gause <forums_noreply@adobe.com>

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 07, 2017 0
Jun 07, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's impossible to help you based on the information you posted.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 07, 2017 0
New Here ,
Sep 27, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My brushes are also not behaving like I’m used to.

I,v been using CC 17 for a while now, with an intuos and up until a few week ago, had no issues whatsoever.

not however, when i want to use my brush tool, no matter what brish i pick, when i draw, the stroke changes to one of those standard brushes (the one that kindoff looks like a road)... no matter how i try, i can,t draw whith anything else... i can go back and select the stroke to change it, but when i draw another, same thing.. i,ve tried everything i can think of, even deleted those brushes from my panel, but it keeps reverting back.

i am so frustrated about this!...

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 27, 2018 0
Sep 28, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

schrieb

My brushes are also not behaving like I’m used to.

I,v been using CC 17 for a while now, with an intuos and up until a few week ago, had no issues whatsoever.

not however, when i want to use my brush tool, no matter what brish i pick, when i draw, the stroke changes to one of those standard brushes (the one that kindoff looks like a road)... no matter how i try, i can,t draw whith anything else... i can go back and select the stroke to change it, but when i draw another, same thing.. i,ve tried everything i can think of, even deleted those brushes from my panel, but it keeps reverting back.

i am so frustrated about this!...

Please create a new thread, tell us the info about your system.

And show a screenshot.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 28, 2018 0
New Here ,
Oct 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know its years later but I think I had the same issue that you are having. The work around I came up with is using the pencil tool, that allowed me to set teh basic shape as the stroke 🙂  

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 28, 2020 0
Oct 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually that is not even a workaround, but just the appropriate approach to the task.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 29, 2020 0
Resources