Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Illustrator pathfinder and text problem

New Here ,
Feb 25, 2021 Feb 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I'm trying to cut out text (outlined) from a semitransparent cirkel, but as you can see in the video, there is some sort of "left over" in the cirkel? In the top left corner of the F shape

What to do? 

TOPICS
Tools

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is that a problem of the view? Is the problem also visible as a real path in the outline view (toggle with Ctrl+Y)?
or
Does Ctrl + E make a change (toggle between Preview on GPU/CPU)?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is visible in outline view

No succes with CTRL + E

It seems that it have something to do with the font

If I select another font, the problem is not there 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, if you've converted to outlines, it's no longer a font. How did you convert to outlines, using the Type menu or the Effect menu?

It's actually kind of hard to tell exactly what happens there. Is that artifact at top-left a new, additional object?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

John, a quick sideways question: How would I outline type from the Effects menu?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 26, 2021 Feb 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

With a type object selected, choose Effect > Path > Outline Object.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Feb 27, 2021 Feb 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I assumed that what's you meant, John. Just confirming.

But see if I'm thinking right here: The Effect>Path>Outline Object doesn't literally convert the type object to outlines until it's expanded. So Finn couldn't use the type with the Outline Object effect applied to knock out a shape behind it until after he expanded the effect—which in the end would leave him with the same result as the Type>Create Outlines command. True?

The only way I can figure he could use a live F to "knock out" a shape behind it is to select both and create a Compound Shape. For this he would need neither outlines nor an outline effect.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines