Exit

Illustrator - Play Action doScript - Play Action

Enthusiast ,
Feb 09, 2021 Feb 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have an action that calls a script menu item, that runs

app.doScript ("RunFP","FP");

If I select it from the menu, it's no problem, but when I run it from actions, my computer spins and I have to crash illustrator. Am I running into an endless loop somehow since I'm running an action that's calling an action? Any way around this?

TOPICS
Bug , Scripting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Valorous Hero ,
Feb 10, 2021 Feb 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, that's what happens, so you have to make the script in such a way that all your script stuff is in the script and all your actions are in the actions, but not where a script can call an action that calls a script.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Feb 10, 2021 Feb 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As I read your question you have embedded Actions within another Action. I haven't actually tried that so can't say if it should work. Could you call the individual actions, in the appropriate order, from your script and get the desired result?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Feb 14, 2021 Feb 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Simply launching 1 action from a script played from actions crashes it, but calling it from the menu it's exponentially faster. The idea was to group a whole bunch of scripts and actions together rather than call things individually.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Feb 15, 2021 Feb 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hmm… I call AI actions routinely in my scripts. I have experienced differences between running directly from AI and from a Script, but have found workarounds.

I'm on Mac and use Keyboard Maestro to "orchestrate" the calling of Scripts and Actions. It allows me to mix them together and assign triggers for their execution.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines