Highlighted

Illustrator -- PLEASE fix the multiple file opening issue

Explorer ,
Mar 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Caveat: I don't have time to try and find how many others have commented on this, so apologies if this has been posted already. However, if it has, clearly no actions have been taken to correct it at all. It's been going on for at least 1-2 years now. 

Here's the summary of the problem:

You're working in AI. You have one or multiple files open. 

Next, you go and open a new file that is DIFFERENT from the others.  (doesn't matter WHAT way you open it)

That file 'opens,' but its content mirrors exactly what is in the file YOU ALREADY HAVE OPEN. It has the correct file name, but the contents have been 'magically' replaced with the contents of the file you were already working in. Needless to say, the first time this happens, it's incredibly confusing, and probably results in a lot of users losing their saved work. It's been going on so long I've gotten used to 'looking' to see if files open correctly. 

Good lord, can we plesase find a fix for this? It's so incredibly frustrating. I have to close out all my docs, quit AI, then re-open, and try again. Apolgies for the all-caps emphasis, but wanted to make sure I was explaining this correctly. 

I am going to come here every single time this happens and note it as a reply. This is really ridiculous that it hasn't been addressed yet. 

So, yep, first time today, and it's only 10:54 AM my time. 

TOPICS
Bug, Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Illustrator -- PLEASE fix the multiple file opening issue

Explorer ,
Mar 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Caveat: I don't have time to try and find how many others have commented on this, so apologies if this has been posted already. However, if it has, clearly no actions have been taken to correct it at all. It's been going on for at least 1-2 years now. 

Here's the summary of the problem:

You're working in AI. You have one or multiple files open. 

Next, you go and open a new file that is DIFFERENT from the others.  (doesn't matter WHAT way you open it)

That file 'opens,' but its content mirrors exactly what is in the file YOU ALREADY HAVE OPEN. It has the correct file name, but the contents have been 'magically' replaced with the contents of the file you were already working in. Needless to say, the first time this happens, it's incredibly confusing, and probably results in a lot of users losing their saved work. It's been going on so long I've gotten used to 'looking' to see if files open correctly. 

Good lord, can we plesase find a fix for this? It's so incredibly frustrating. I have to close out all my docs, quit AI, then re-open, and try again. Apolgies for the all-caps emphasis, but wanted to make sure I was explaining this correctly. 

I am going to come here every single time this happens and note it as a reply. This is really ridiculous that it hasn't been addressed yet. 

TOPICS
Bug, Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Mar 04, 2020 0
Explorer ,
Jun 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Argh. This continues to be an issue. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 09, 2020 1
Explorer ,
Jul 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 14, 2020 0
Explorer ,
Jul 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow, that was fast. SECOND time today. I have already quit AI once. This time I only had one file open, yet it couldn't open a second. Insert expletive of choice here. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 14, 2020 1
Adobe Community Professional ,
Jul 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The silence about the case may be just because no one can reproduce the issue you are trying to describe.

You are mentioning good lord, but you don't even mention which version of Illustrator you are using.

As per your description, I can imagine that you are talking about a user error for some reason. Or at least some kind of misunderstanding, whatever it may be.

I know that sometimes there are pretty strange bugs that only appear under certain rare conditions, but to catch them some more clarifications are required, usually.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 14, 2020 1
Explorer ,
Jul 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your (curt) reply. I think I summed up the problem adequately enough, and I can assure you it's not 'user error.'  It sucks and it happens a lot. I've experienced it throughout the last 5-6 updates of Creative Cloud. 

It's frustrating, and that's why I posted it. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 14, 2020 1
Adobe Community Professional ,
Jul 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Usually, a real bug can clearly be reproduced by providing step-by-step instructions.

Do step A, do step B, do step C etc. and you can see the unexpected behaviour. It is (or may) then something that can be reproduced.

Unfortunately, you have not provided clear instructions so far. You are just claiming that something weird happens, but apparently no one can confirm that behaviour.

Perhaps you may want to clarify, so one can better understand your issue.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 14, 2020 1