• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Illustrator preview

New Here ,
Dec 23, 2017 Dec 23, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In Illustrator, ois there a way to view the document the way you would see it when printed such as the [command/w] function in InDesign?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Dec 23, 2017 Dec 23, 2017

As Anna said, there is no equivalent Print Preview in Illustrator. As a workaround you could make a separate layer with objects that block out the area outside the artboard and turn the visibility of that layer on/off.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In Illustrator you can't hide the pasteboard, but you can hide all guides, bleeds etc. Just use "Cmd ;" (Mac) keys.You will see the real artwork without any advanced markup.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As Anna said, there is no equivalent Print Preview in Illustrator. As a workaround you could make a separate layer with objects that block out the area outside the artboard and turn the visibility of that layer on/off.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

By the way, there is a way, sort of, to hide the pasteboard: View > Hide Artboards. But then you won't be able to tell where your artboard starts and ends.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can just try one of two ways:

1- Make clipping mask for your artwork that outside the artboard.

2- From Edit> Preferences> User Interface ... Change the Canvas color to white. make a layer that is above all layers and draw white boxes from the edge of artboard to outside that to hide the outer part of your artwork.
Then keep your design in Layers under this layer.
So you can hide or reveal this layer if you need to preview your work.Screen Shot 2017-12-24 at 5.35.59 AM.pngScreen Shot 2017-12-24 at 5.35.19 AM.pngScreen Shot 2017-12-24 at 5.35.39 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 25, 2017 Dec 25, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

try the script in this post

Re: [JS] Introducing Artboard Preview

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Jul 27, 2020 Jul 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's a link to what i think is Carlos trying to link, since forum is still broken and old links dont work
I had issues with his script and got it working again, see this post

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @schroef,

Please do not dig out older threads unnecessarily!

But if you really can't ignore these topics: please leave the latest information.
There is a presentation mode in the current versions of Illustrator. You no longer need a script. You can also crop the view temporarily. You can find both commands in the menu: View

To your answer in the other thread: It is true that many scripts were incorrectly adopted when switching to the new forum software. Often only the counter is missing [i]

And please don't blame the script writers from before 2016. They didn't deserve it! Their scripts worked until the changeover.

If you can, help restore and preserve the ancient treasures. Thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you Adobe's gate-keeper?

As i said earlier, we are not all using new version. You are now locking threads because you think they should not be updated?! Kinda weird if im honest. I dont know what or if you have a connection with Adobe. You do seem to have admin rights on this forum.

So i fixed an old script for others so they can still use it. Thats not good and is seen as resurrecting old threads?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a user forum. And some users have moderator privileges.

The forum has been migrated last year, which has caused a lot of scripts in old threads to not work anymore. nobody wants to keep you from re-writing or repairing those scripts. But those old threads that sometimes run over several pages are simply not usable anymore (which is partly caused by the forum software). Before people will find your addition after trying out several non-functional scripts, they will rather close the thread. And go on digging.

This is not about censortship, it's about usability.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

what do you mean by those old threads are not useable anymore? Im not sure i understand it correctly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Replies and replies to replies and all that not sorted chronologically, but spanning 10 years and more.

In most of those threads it's close to impossible to find the latest answer. Unless you want to read through 5 pages from the beginning.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I see yeah, i think this hole comment system is wrecked. Its very confusing when reading. I would be much easier to read if it was one timeline from top to bottom with quote replies and a scrollbar to jump to posts.

One very good example of this implementation is BlenderArtist forum
When a reply is made, on the top right we see the original post, you can jump directly to that post clicking that. I find this method of reading over a thread a breeze to use.

Screen Shot 2020-07-27 at 19.02.18.png

The way the forum works here, is like mini-threads start to rise within a thread. Its this feature which cause weird behavior on the timeline of these threads. Here you really need to pay attention which reply button you click. You could make the reply to the wrong person.

What i dont understand is why they have chosen for this approach in a forum? Its really heard to go through and like you said, to find something

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@schroef

Thank you for the repair. And yes, these old topics are always good for research or investigation.

But this other thread (which I have locked) is now 12 years old - with dozens of tries and solutions for different versions of Illustrator since 2008. Unfortunately, you did not directly answer the post with the incorrectly translated code - or as last post in chronological order. Your solution is now in the middle between 2014 and 2011. Very disadvantageous.

After that, you dug up at least three other old topics and distributed the solution for your older version - without the addition that this is only helpful for Illustrator up to CC 2018 and is no longer required for versions from CC 2019 and newer. Why?

No forum accepts multiple simultaneous posts on the same topic.

These are the reasons for locking the topic in the other thread.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

A couple pointed all to this same post where i pasted the code after the original dev posted it. I replied on purpose to that post, since i wanted to direct his post.

But this was also an example of the stripped [i] in the pasted code. Didnt think of it when i was doing the research to get it working again. Later the pin dropped and i remembered the forum issue again.

PS why arent all older threads locked then, its just a suggestion. This will prevent the issue you mentioned. Another idea could be to pin a forum rule of posting somewhere.But i believe i did see something like that. The forum and the way we can replay in 2 ways is kinda vague, that's why the timelines in these threads ara all mangled i guess. A simple quote&reply option would be better vs in-thread comment system there currently is. In-thread is perhaps not the proper name, Its kinda like twitter, you can get lost very quick and its vague to understand the timeline of a thread.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines