• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Illustrator - problem reducing size/rotating a layered, finished image

Participant ,
Apr 10, 2021 Apr 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi!  I'm using my Covid time at home to learn Illustrator - I'm pretty proficient in Photoshop, but Illustrator ia giving me problems!  I just designed a pair of sunglasses with a beachy-scene in the lenses through a tutorial.  LOTS of layers and processes.  Taking it a step beyond the tutorial, I wanted to put a person "behind" the sunglasses.  To do that, I enlarged the artboard, but I needed to reduce the sunglasses in size and rotate them slightly.  All the layers are grouped - reducing in size is OK, but when I rotate it, my image changes.  Subtle sunglares on the lenses become white rectangles.  Layers that have been clipped/masked are now popping out all over the place.  I cannot "merge" or "unite" them in Pathfinders, since that changes the image drastically.  I'm accustomed, in Photoshop, to merging layers - I cannot seem to do that in Illustrator without screwing up my design.  AARGH!  Any suggestions - or a tutorial you could steer me to?  Thanks, Marilyn 

TOPICS
Draw and design

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Marylin,

I am afraid Layers is Photoshop speak, I believe we are talking about objects.

Maybe an easy way/cheat is to turn the whole pair into a Symbol before rotating.

Some things are unwilling to rotate.

A screenshot with one of the offending bits selected and also showing the Appearance panel along with the Layers panel might help; please use the Insert Photos button at the top of the Reply box.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jacob!

I'm attaching images of what I've tried to do.  I had tried merging the images through Pathfinder (which I have difficulty with on a "good" day...), and the first attachment is what the sunglasses looked like when I tried making it a solid image with Pathfinder.  The 2nd image is the original, what it looked like when I reduced/rotated it, and, when I exported it as a jpeg, how it came out PERFECT!  Not sure why, in Illustrator, the rotated/reduced one lost the details.  OK -  back to your suggestion - how would I  turn it into a Symbol before rotating?  Please pardon my ignorance - I'm new at Illustator....

Thanks for your help, Marilyn

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jacob, I did figure out how to make the symbol - tried it - the sunglasses still came out funky, even though the symbol itself in the little box looked just fine

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Marilyn,

What happens if you Ctrl/Cmd+E, which toggles between GPU and CPU view?

Apart from that, I would suggest PNG24 rather than JPEG.

And, apologizing for the repetition, this may still help (other) helpers help you:

A screenshot with one of the offending bits selected and also showing the Appearance panel along with the Layers panel might help; please use the Insert Photos button at the top of the Reply box.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Apr 11, 2021 Apr 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi01.png02_ContCommE.png03_CCE_reduce.rotate.png04_commandZ.pngHi Jacob - here are the screenshots:

#1 - the original

#2 - highlighted layers with Control+Command+E

#3 - after reducing in size and rotating

#4 - even Command Z (multiple times) couldn't restore it to the original

Thanks, Marilyn

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines