Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Illustrator Problem with linked files

New Here ,
Aug 03, 2020 Aug 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, 
I am working on an A4 dm and I made a picture in Photoshop that I linked as background.
Every time I modify that picture in Photoshop, Illustrator wants to refresh it, correctly, but when I hit refresh I got this message ' Could not find a plug-in to read the linked file "namefile.psd# Choose Replace to select another file or Ignore to leave the link unchanged". If then I choose to replace OR I cancel the file and link again it says "the file "namefile.psd" is in a format that cannot be placed.
This is very annoying because if I want to refresh or place new pictures I have to completely close Illustrator and reopen it. Is there a way to fix this?

TOPICS
Bug , Import and export , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The update or refresh feature for linked (PSD) files should work on your system.

Please try with another file, do a simple test with a file with 2-3 layers save as PSD, using any picture or painting on each layer, just for checking it's not a problem with that file.

Please detail Ai numerical complete version  (*Aboiut Illustrtaor) and OS. Thaanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your kind reply.
My Illustrator version is 24.2 and the psd file I am using has 4 levels (1 background / 1 picture / 2 adjusting layers).
It also makes the same with jpeg files. After I overwrite one (with new things) it shows the problem I mentioned above.
I noticed that if I change the linked files while Illustrator is closed and then I open it, then it refreshes with no problems.

One last thing: here in my company they keep the files on a Google Cloud, so, on my Mac, I see my working folder using Google Drive.

I think this is pretty much everything.
Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Aug 04, 2020 Aug 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you tried downloading and open your ai files into your Mac computer?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 13, 2020 Aug 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I have also tried to work on mac local HDD but the problem still persists. This is painful because when designing brochures I work a lot with external files and every time I have to quit and open again Illustrator to update photos. 
This is the first time I encounter a heavy problem in Illustrator since 2005.
I hope Adobe will find a solution because it is very strange

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 16, 2021 Apr 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I have the same problem! The only thing I have found to work is to Save As and relink every time I make an edit in Photoshop, which is a really annoying workaround 😞

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines