• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Illustrator "Could not read the file because the plugin could not understand the file" - cant open!!

New Here ,
Oct 30, 2019 Oct 30, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After i updated to Catalina, i tried to open one of my older files. The 2019 version of illustrator said that it was not able to open it. So i searched for a way to do this and came across the thread advising to download the 2020 beta where the issue is fixed. I did this...but then a new pop up came up "Could not read the file because the plugin could not understand the file" ....i really need to fix this - FAST! Come on adobe - you are my only hope! 

Screen Shot 2019-10-31 at 8.55.14 AM.png

TOPICS
Bug , Feature request

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Nov 20, 2019 Nov 20, 2019

https://community.adobe.com/t5/illustrator/error-while-opening-files-in-ai-2020-on-macos-catalina-quot-missing-plugin-quot/m-p/10718329

The checkbox within the disk access solution on the abover thread helped me. Good luck (it was driving me bonkers!)

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The beta can only solve the issue where Illustrator can't open the files at all.

Your issue is different: the file got ruined during the update. When updating, the system moves files back and forth, and in the case of Catalina also changes user privileges and the like. That's why you should always (ALWAYS) make a backup of your drive before updating.

You could try if Illustrator can still read the PDF part of the file - did you save it PDF editable? Try and open the file in Acrobat. If that works, create a new file in Illustrator and place the corrupt file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I saved a PDF version of it and i am getting the same pop up. 

I appreciate the advice re. the backup, but i feel like this is probably something that should of been caught before catalina got released. When you consider the size of the company adobe is, the weight of importance on peoples work....a simple thing such as opening a file....this falls well below my standards and i imaging the guys at the tops standards are higher than mine. So "you should of made a backup" feels a little bit of a redundant argument. haha 

Thanks for your reply however 🙂 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"this is probably something that should of been caught before catalina got released."

It's your system that does move files around (and ruins them in the process). Illustrator then just isn't able to open them.

Making a backup before updating the system is general good practice for any computer user. And Apple advises to do so. You should read the documentation:https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201475

You did run Time Machine? There will be a backup of your file in there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 30, 2020 Jan 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Please be sure to read the response from AntCreations in case you get asked this question again - this is a fix for the problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 20, 2019 Nov 20, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://community.adobe.com/t5/illustrator/error-while-opening-files-in-ai-2020-on-macos-catalina-qu...

The checkbox within the disk access solution on the abover thread helped me. Good luck (it was driving me bonkers!)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 30, 2020 Jan 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much for this response! Its great to get help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines