Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Illustrator Randomly Editing '.svg' Files

New Here ,
Jun 22, 2020 Jun 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

I've recently been interested in editing the map markers for Skyrim.

I first downloaded the cleaned source files from github. I then exported the pertinent '.fla' as an '.swf.'

Using JPEXS I then extracted the markers as '.svg' files.

Upon opening any particular '.svg,' they look perfectly fine; they look identical to the preview in JPEXS. This 'state' can be seen in the attached "135 - before.svg."

As soon as I edit the '.svg' in any way (I used the pathfinder tool's 'trim' option to erase the overlap), the resultant '.svg' has edits that I have not made. This 'state' can be see in the attached "135 - after.svg"

You can see that the anchors (nodes? not sure what they're called) are being moved for some reason.

I then opened the two files in VSC to take a look at the code and realized they were drammatically different. I assumed at first that the code generated by extracting the shape file from the '.swf' as an '.svg' was incorrect, and that Illustrator was correcting it. The problem is that Illustrator seems to move the anchor points after every edit to the file. This 'state' can be seen in "135 - after - fixed.svg" (I rearranged the anchors to cover up the gaps of white) as well as "135 - after - fixed - again.svg" (I rearranged the anchors again and made further edits).

I honestly don't know what's happening - do I have corrupt files? a bad Illustrator installation? Will converting to a different file type help?

Any help is much appreciated, and don't hesitate to ask for more information.

Edit: I've edited the '.svg' file in Inkscape and it saves just fine, so maybe there's something wrong with my Illustrator installation?

Edit2: Tried reinstalling Illustrator; still same issue. I tried converting the file type to '.ai' and that is an acceptable solution for me as I don't need it to be '.svg' - rather I just need a vector format.

I still would like to know what the issue is with my '.svg' files though if anyone knows.

TOPICS
Bug , Draw and design , Tools

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
no replies

Have something to add?