• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Illustrator Resizes on File Open

Participant ,
Jun 19, 2012 Jun 19, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a silly little issue, but it really bugs me! Whenever I open a file in Illustrator via double-clicking the file in Windows Explorer, Illustrator resizes its main window, as if I've hit the "Restore Down" button in the upper right corner. I then have to click "Restore Up" to expand it to fill the screen again. I'm using Illustrator CS3 and Windows XP. Any ideas?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Aug 06, 2022 Aug 06, 2022

Hi, no there isn't a solution yet, just resize the window manually as suggested 10 years ago.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
replies 105 Replies 105
New Here ,
Oct 12, 2013 Oct 12, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Stop wondering! Yes, I'm using the legal version too. And this is a bug which hasn't been fixed for years and was in previous version(s) too (now using CC). It started so long ago, that I even don't remeber correctly on which version and if it was already after installation or after some usage time meaning there is a deffinite cause why this happens. If I remember correctly it might be the second case.

Anyway maximazing the window manually is not really a sollution. That is just a workaround. Also think of some case when you especially want to quicky switch between maximized and minimized modes, for example half screen to see some reference text of other program. Then this is not really possible as you would get that not maximized half screen every time by doubleclicking to open the document and would need to click one more time to maximize.

Final thought is that it is very annoying and my best sollution is to not open files by double clicking on them, but by dragging them inside already open Illustrator. Just don't drag in an open document, but some other part of program screen, otherwise it will place it. Of course another way is to use the Open from menu, but that of course would slow things down even more.

In the end a simple question - why this happens only in Illustrator and not any other Adobe software. At least I haven't seen it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 12, 2014 Dec 12, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

bought version at work, hacked at home: I have the problem at work, not at home. go figure.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,
Oct 13, 2013 Oct 13, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PwrSrg wrote:

Your solution has no effect on our problem.

I'm wondering if you actually tried my solution and if yes, what steps did you make?

I don't have this problem. Using CS5 on Windows 7. May be I'm wrong but I have a feeling that it is a system and not Illustrator problem that needs to be fixed. I think the size of the application windows are managed by the system.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Mar 04, 2021 Mar 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This doesnt fix it sadly.

The way i got it fixed is once this happens simply resize that small window to a pretty big size. Then next time it will again resize the window, but you can get passed that error about the window being to small. Its still hideous that this bug is still in since 2012!!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 17, 2021 May 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe does not have time for that, with your subscription you just can afford user interface updates like new splash window every year and smaller icons. and maybe sometimes change 20year old shortcuts to annoy older users like me.At best! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 25, 2013 Nov 25, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Has anyone from Adobe actually addressed this issue or even replied? I would like some kind of explination regarding this - Or am I missing something and they have replied??

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 06, 2013 Dec 06, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

4 years since this question is open on the forum.

26 answers of people bored by this (27 counting me).

And not a single answer from Adobe.

Maybe the problem will be fixed in CC12?

NB: InDesign has exactly the same f**** problem

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 12, 2013 Dec 12, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Freaking cock Adobe, will this poop ever be fixed??

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 08, 2014 May 08, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

BigChili's advice works well for me, but this bug can be not Adobe's.

It was discussed here, there's only a suggestion, but it's plausible:
Illustrator Application Window Resizes When Opening Smart Object from PSD

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 09, 2014 Jun 09, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been having this same problem for years and years.  Figured out the window resize trick somewhere in the depths of the last decade. 

I can't believe this is still happening.  It's so bizarre. 

For the record, Windows 8 + Ai CC.  But it has done it on every previous version of program and OS that I've ever used it on.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 10, 2014 Jun 10, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

this stupid AI it is really really getting on my nervs

Adobe: why do you have a forum, if you do not comment, advice or at least fix your software???

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 17, 2014 Jun 17, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This happens to me as well. Any word on when this is going to get fixed, Adobe?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 18, 2014 Jun 18, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just updated to CC 2014 and the bug remains.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jun 18, 2014 Jun 18, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, isn't that just awesome??

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 25, 2014 Jun 25, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I found this fix in the link posted by emil emil - right click on your desktop shortcut and choose Properties. In the Shortcut tab choose Maximized from the menu for Run. Worked for me. I'm using CC 2014 on Windows 7.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'll give that a try!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Beacatnat - sorry but the fix is now not working.. looks like I celebrated too soon.. : (

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jun 26, 2014 Jun 26, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried it today, and it seemed to work! Like you, I will have to see if it does not last...keeping fingers crossed!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 26, 2014 Jun 26, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This does not fix it, and even if it did, it would only be a workaround to a long standing bug that Adobe has not yet fixed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 04, 2018 Nov 04, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This seemed to work for me! I've had this issue on my work PC almost every time, but never on my personal Mac. Now that I think about it, it does seem more like a system issue rather than Ai. SImply change the 'Run' setting from normal to maximised (dunno why this isn't the default), but it has worked for an entire afternoon so far.

Maximised.JPG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 04, 2018 Nov 04, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Damn. It seems I was too quick to post too. I had such high hopes for this as the settings made total sense for the issue at hand.

Weird that it temporarily works—no settings changed either.

However, my second attempt using 'Open illustrator, not a file. Resize the frame, exit.' has worked for a number of opens now...I just 'restored' then 'maximised' my raw illustrator to resize the frame.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jul 02, 2014 Jul 02, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yep, it worked for a day or two, then reverted back to the same old bug. Dumb Illustrator!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 02, 2014 Jul 02, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I accidentally fixed this yesterday by doing something which I now realise was similar to CarlosCanto suggestion:

"maximize" your window manually, that is, grab it by the corners and drag to fill up (almost) the screen, make sure you don't get to the actual maximum since the system will maximize the window for you, that should take care of the problem.

In addition to the original issue of the window going out of maximise mode on new file open I was getting another error message "Can't open the illustration. There is not enough room for the window; increase document area and try again".  So what I did to fix this issue I manually resized the window by grabbing the corners and filling the screen.  Then I think I clicked the maximise button and I say "think" as I was doing this without the intention of fixing the original problem, I just wanted to open my file, so I can't remember exactly. Then I opened a file and my window was maximised. Tried another file, and window stayed maximised. Shut down Illustrator and reopened and tested more files using double click on file in Windows Explorer to open or opening from Illustrator. Tested again today.  Window is staying maximised and I was not getting any error messages..... victory is mine!!  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 04, 2014 Jul 04, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is not a fix. This is just a temporary workaround: If your screen resolution is changed while Illustrator is running (such as by Remote Desktop or a full screen app), then Illustrator will once again open files in a restored, non-maximized state. This happens to me frequently, and I constantly have to expand collapsed panels.

No matter how you try to slice it, the bug remains, and the workarounds are not permanent solutions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 14, 2014 Jul 14, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This problem has been around as long as CS itself, which means it's over a decade and going strong. It's highly unlikely the programmers and/or test groups haven't noticed it themselves. It's a sad state of affairs when a reported bug spans a generation without being addressed. Don't hold your breath on Adobe taking action on it any time soon.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines