Highlighted

Illustrator's export for screens not always 72dpi

Contributor ,
Jul 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In exporting slices of an image for a plugin I'm working on, I found that the PNG images exported at various sizes have the correct pixel dimensions (except for the extra pixel described elsewhere), but the dpi changes. This causes the images to be displayed incorrectly in some older Illustrator versions. To correct it, I had to open every image in Photoshop to change its resolution to 72dpi.

This strikes me as a bug in Illustrator. I suspect it works by rasterizing the art, and accomplishes scaling by setting the resolution to some multiple of 72, but it makes sense to me to then save the files as 72dpi.

At least the workaround isn't too overwhelming, thanks to Photoshop automated batch Actions.

TOPICS
Bug, Import and export, SDK

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Illustrator's export for screens not always 72dpi

Contributor ,
Jul 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In exporting slices of an image for a plugin I'm working on, I found that the PNG images exported at various sizes have the correct pixel dimensions (except for the extra pixel described elsewhere), but the dpi changes. This causes the images to be displayed incorrectly in some older Illustrator versions. To correct it, I had to open every image in Photoshop to change its resolution to 72dpi.

This strikes me as a bug in Illustrator. I suspect it works by rasterizing the art, and accomplishes scaling by setting the resolution to some multiple of 72, but it makes sense to me to then save the files as 72dpi.

At least the workaround isn't too overwhelming, thanks to Photoshop automated batch Actions.

TOPICS
Bug, Import and export, SDK

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Jul 22, 2020 0

Have something to add?