• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Illustrator saving multiple versions of file on a server

New Here ,
Jun 14, 2021 Jun 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello. I have my own WD server at home and I work directly from the server via my network for all my files. Before, I could easily open an illustrator file, make changes, save, and then close and there weren't any weird things happening with the file.

I just bought a brand new 2020 Mac Mini running the M1 Chip and Big Sur. Now, anytime I work directly from a file on my server and hit save, I get an error code saying "changes may have been made to this file outside of Illustrator". My only options are to cancel or ignore the error and save anyway. If I press on and save, illustrator creates a new, duplicate file on my server with those changes made, but doesn't save the changes to the source/original file.

If I try to save my Illustrator as a PDF file overwriting a previous PDF file, it creates a .tmp file and doesn't actually overwrite the original PDF file.

Any ideas here? I save frequently when working and my server won't let me delete these duplicate files saying they're being used. I'm concerned about server space and memory overload.

Thanks in advance!

TOPICS
Bug , Performance , Sync and storage

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Jun 14, 2021 Jun 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since it has worked for you before, it looks like introducing the new mac and possibly a new OS has caused the problems. 

The latest Illustrator version 25.3 has better support for the M1 chip, that may help.

But generally saving on desktop and copying to a server is the safest way to save your files.

https://helpx.adobe.com/illustrator/kb/illustrator-support-networks-removable-media.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 15, 2021 Jun 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the response! I will try working off the server for now and see if later versions of Illustrator help smooth this out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 15, 2021 Jun 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

That looks like the safest workflow.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines