Illustrator saving poor quality JPG

Community Beginner ,
Feb 25, 2021 Feb 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For work I have to save a lot of scanned images, that start as JPG. I rotate them, crop them down and re-save as JPG using Microsoft Office 2010. This always gives me a qualiy similar to how I started with the scan.

It would be easier to adjust them in Illustrator, but I notice that when I save them as a JPG, using File>Export as>JPG (or even PNG), the quality is not as good as vs Microsoft Office's version. When I edit, then save using Microsoft Office as JPG, there is no noticable loss in quality (maybe some but not noticable to the eye at all). When I use Illustrator, there is always a noticable loss.

It doesnt seem to matter which Export options I use:

RGB or CMYK

Quality 10 Maximum

Compression: tried all 3 Baseline, Baseline Optimised, Progressive

Resolution: 300 ppi ( I tried changing this to 600 but not sure that's even a real option)

Anti-aliasing: tried all 3

Doucment Raster Settings are set to RGB and 300 ppi 

(Ive tried changing this to 600 and the export setting to 600 but still the same).

Export As.. for some reason seems to save at a lot higher quality than using Save for Web and choosing the highest quality settings, so this is not an option.

Am i missing something here? Why is Microsoft Office so much better at saving JPGs?

TOPICS
Import and export, Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,
Feb 25, 2021 Feb 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Photoshop should be more suited to do image processing.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines