Highlighted

Illustrator - smart guides "glitch"

New Here ,
Aug 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am making icons in Illustrator.

- Created a 1000px x 1000px file.

- Set horizontal & vertical guides at midpoints - 500px, so the intersection is accurate centre of the document.

- Using the pen tool, I hover to get the smart guide to snap to guide.  BUT!!!!  It snaps at position 500.5px not 500.0p.x  Both horizontal & vertical are affected.

The picture shows the "smart guides" assisting at the wrong point.  The cursor vanished for the screenshot, but is hovering on "intersect". 

I reset Illustrator settings & started a new file with no other items.  Illustrator V 24.3.  Mac OS 10.15.6.

Image 30-08-2020 at 21.49.jpegEDIT - (Update) : I only get the snapping option at 500.5px.  No other location, except the axis, activates the snap.

Topics

Bug, Draw and design, Tools

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Illustrator - smart guides "glitch"

New Here ,
Aug 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am making icons in Illustrator.

- Created a 1000px x 1000px file.

- Set horizontal & vertical guides at midpoints - 500px, so the intersection is accurate centre of the document.

- Using the pen tool, I hover to get the smart guide to snap to guide.  BUT!!!!  It snaps at position 500.5px not 500.0p.x  Both horizontal & vertical are affected.

The picture shows the "smart guides" assisting at the wrong point.  The cursor vanished for the screenshot, but is hovering on "intersect". 

I reset Illustrator settings & started a new file with no other items.  Illustrator V 24.3.  Mac OS 10.15.6.

Image 30-08-2020 at 21.49.jpegEDIT - (Update) : I only get the snapping option at 500.5px.  No other location, except the axis, activates the snap.

Topics

Bug, Draw and design, Tools

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Adobe Community Professional ,
Aug 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Perhaps go to View menu and deactivate Snap to Grid and Snap to Pixel?

Peter

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

All snaps are deactivated, except smart guides.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can replicate that in older versions, even CS4, but I can also snap to the intersection of the guides.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 31, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for checking.  Looks like a legitimate glitch.  There is some snapping on the actual intersection, but as the snapping is also 0.5px away, it is a major nuisance.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 31, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you sure that Snap to Pixel is turned off?

When you turn on the control panel, there is a snapping icon to the right - is it pressed?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 31, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you.

Yes - Snap to Pixel is off.  The control panel icon is unchecked.  I unchecked the "Snap while drawing/Snap while moving/Snap while scaling" options before unchecking the main button.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 31, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It seems to only happen at the lower right side of the guides,

You can report it here if you want to:

https://illustrator.uservoice.com

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines