Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Illustrator Smooth Tool 2020 Bug

Community Beginner ,
Jul 02, 2020 Jul 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello everyone,

so I was using the Smooth Tool as always and Illustrator suddenly started giving me a strange error when I tried to smooth out a line on my design. I'm not sure what it means, and I assume it's a new 2020 bug. After researching for quite a while, I was not able to find anything related to that error in illustrator.

The Error states: "Partially selected objects cannot be set as key objects. In order to set an object as a key object, make sure the entire object is selected and try again."

Not really sure what it's supposed to tell me, but I guess it's a JavaScript bug.

If anyone knows what's up with that and could help, please let me know. It's getting kinda annoying hearing a Mac's error sound every millisecond. Thanks in advance.

Screenshot 2020-07-02 at 15.08.37.png

TOPICS
Bug , Draw and design , Tools

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

WHich version exactly is it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Latest update 24.2.1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you reset the preferences after the update?

And then what are you doing step by step?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did yes.

I Image Traced a picture of a head that I wanted to use for a Logo I was making, and I was smoothing out some edges because the trace was too rough. So I began using the Smooth Tool when suddenly for the first time this error appeared. I had to restart Ai for the Error to disappear for a while. Then as I was smoothing out the rest of the head, the Error started popping up again, without me doing anything else that could disrupt my process.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't reproduce that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 08, 2020 Jul 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem. It worked fine yesterday. Today, I created a few leaves with the Blob brush, then tried to use the smooth tool on one and received the "partially selected objects..." error. I don't understand how this could be related to a "key object" since I'm not trying to align anything. I'm using the latest Illustrator as of 7 days ago on a newer Macbook Pro.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 09, 2020 Jul 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Which version is that?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 10, 2020 Jul 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Illustrator 24.2.1 on a 2018 15" Macbook Pro

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 25, 2020 Nov 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had the same error, had to click "Don't Show Again" otherwise it would not stop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 27, 2020 Nov 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Sorry to hear about this. Would you mind sharing version of the OS & Illustrator? Does it happen with a specific file? You may also share your workflow for better understanding.

This information will help us assist you accordingly. Looking forward to your response.

Regards,

Ashutosh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 28, 2020 Nov 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thx. Mac OS Big Sur 11.0.1, AI 2021 v 25. At the time of the error I had the 'Direct Selection' tool active. I have only had it happen once and I will never see the error again as I had to click the "Don't Show Again" check box to exit the error.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 03, 2020 Dec 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I get the same mistake more than once! Clicking «OK» or pressing to Esc button does not close this message window. There is no chance to continue working!  😞

When the error occurs (see screenshot), I use the Direct Select tool and the path as M is the only chosen path (within a HOME compound path).

Illustr. v. 24.3.0/ MacOS Mojave 10.14.6 (18G6042)/ iMac (Retina 5K, 27 дюймов, 2017)

Screen Shot 2020-12-03 at 15.37.31.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines