Highlighted

Illustrator stucking/freezing

Community Beginner ,
May 05, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

in the last couple of weeks I'm having some issues with Illustrator when loading files into it, while working all fine, but as soon as I drop a file it freezes.

It's happening only with Illustrator, I'm working with other Adobe programs and it's all good there, only Illustrator doing this weird freezes.

Thanks ahead.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Illustrator stucking/freezing

Community Beginner ,
May 05, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

in the last couple of weeks I'm having some issues with Illustrator when loading files into it, while working all fine, but as soon as I drop a file it freezes.

It's happening only with Illustrator, I'm working with other Adobe programs and it's all good there, only Illustrator doing this weird freezes.

Thanks ahead.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Community Beginner ,
May 10, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Anyone?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,
May 10, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does it do the same if you use File>Place instead of trying to drag and drop?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 10, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If I open a file by double-click, first file opens normaly, second file I double-click getting the program to frozen and I need force quit Illustrator.
If I use "Open" it's working fine, multiple items, if I take a file and dragging-dropping it, it's ok.
The program getting stuck only with double-click on the second file, and only in Illustraitor, Photoshop for exp working fine with all the options.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 10, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sounds like another post we are working on. Are you on windows OS as the other with this issue?

Double clicking Illustrator (.ai) file does not open a file with opened app.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 10, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, this's excatly the problem I have.

But i've Windows 10 and Illustrator CC 2017.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 10, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've posted the details on the other post you gave me the link to, I see they all have the same issue and same version.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 10, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There first one was win 7 but seems to be a runaway for being a windows related Adobe problem. Place try the suggestions in the  other post as they may help you.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 10, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, as I said all the others same problem as mine.

Tried everything, nothing is working... and I noticed that it's getting stuck even when I drag and drop sometimes too.

Anyway, I think it's something related to the cloud update or the illustrator version update, beceause it seems that eveyone is using Illustrator CC 2017 ver. 21.1.0 (64 Bit).

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 10, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What Operating system are you using?

By dropping files do you mean placing images, or opening .ai files or some other format? If opening files are there any fonts in the files.  Have you tried:

Reset Your Preferences.

Cmd-Opt-Ctrl-Shift when restarting AI on a Mac or Alt-Crtl-Shift on a PC to reset to the defaults.

More Thorough Reset Your Preferences.

Quit Illustrator

Finder >> Shift Command G

~/Library/Preferences/Adobe Illustrator 21 Settings/en_US*/Adobe Illustrator Prefs

rename Adobe Illustrator 21 to Adobe Illustrator 21 old

Reset Your Other Preferences

Quit Illustrator

Finder >> Shift Command G

~/Library/Application Support/Adobe/Adobe Illustrator 21/

rename Adobe Illustrator 21 to Adobe Illustrator 21 old

Press Win+R -> appdata -> Roaming -> Adobe -> rename folder Adobe Illustrator 20 (or 21) Settings to any other name.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 10, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm using windows 10, but it has nothing to do with the windows, it has started since the last update of Illustrator.

I'm working with Photoshop, After Effects, Premiere, Light Room, InDesign and they all working fine except Illustrator.

And it's only *.Ai files, no matter if there's fonts or just vector shapes or whatever, it gets stuck after double-clicking on second file, I explained in the previous reply to Larry G. Schneider.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Explorer ,
May 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My illustrator started to freeze too. Especially if After effects running along with it. Second file doesn't open as well. But well, I can't even access the first file now, let alone the second one! - Disappointing.

Windows 10 - Latest Home Edition (Updated)

New PC, i7 ,32 Gb Ram.

First time installed Adobe. No previous version to cause any issue. 

Any new update coming to fix these?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Participant ,
Jun 02, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am setting up a new Windows 10 machine at work and discovered this issue. Discovered something very interesting.

- Launching Illustrator by double-clicking a file, and then double-clicking a second file WILL FREEZE Illustrator.

- Launching Illustrator by clicking the application icon, then double-clicking a file, then double clicking a second file will NOT FREEZE the application?!

I have two machines(Windows 7 & Windows 10) sitting next to one another, and the above issues are ONLY happen on the Windows 10 machine.

*FYI. I logged this issue through Illustrators "Submit Bug" feature

Hope this helps!

Scott Rays

Technical Artist

Austin, TX

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 25, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm experiencing the same issue! I'm using Windows 10 and illustrator cc 2017.
I did what you suggested in the second point, and it worked for me. Thank you!

I hope they fix this bug soon.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

STUCK   IN  ALL FILES

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is an old post.

Please create a new thread and tell us your system and version and the exact nature of the issue. What does stuck mean and when exactly does it occur.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines