Highlighted

Illustrator tools vanishing or not functioning at all

Community Beginner ,
Mar 15, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Looking for help with a reoccurring problem in illustrator. It keeps hiding my tools! I will be working in illustrator, switch to photoshop, come back to illustrator and all my tool panels will have vanished. Going to view and choosing (for example) show layers or show stroke does nothing. None of the tools will reappear. If I “reset essentials classic” the tool panels do reappear but NONE of the tools will function. I can click on them to no avail. Nothing works. My only solution is to restart the computer. About 1/2 the time the tools will reappear and illustrator will function again for a short while before hiding the tools again.

illustrator CC 23.0.2

mac 10.13.6

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Illustrator tools vanishing or not functioning at all

Community Beginner ,
Mar 15, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Looking for help with a reoccurring problem in illustrator. It keeps hiding my tools! I will be working in illustrator, switch to photoshop, come back to illustrator and all my tool panels will have vanished. Going to view and choosing (for example) show layers or show stroke does nothing. None of the tools will reappear. If I “reset essentials classic” the tool panels do reappear but NONE of the tools will function. I can click on them to no avail. Nothing works. My only solution is to restart the computer. About 1/2 the time the tools will reappear and illustrator will function again for a short while before hiding the tools again.

illustrator CC 23.0.2

mac 10.13.6

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Mar 15, 2019 0
Advocate ,
Mar 15, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you accidentally hitting the Tab key? It toggles to show/hide palettes.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 15, 2019 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Mar 15, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try the following...

Reset Workspace

Window > Workspace > Reset Essentials (for example)

Switch to a different Workspace

Window > Workspace > Essentials Classic (for example)

Reset Preferences

How to set preferences in Illustrator

"Press and hold Alt+Control+Shift (Windows) or Option+Command+Shift (macOS) as you start Illustrator. You are prompted to delete the current settings. The new preferences files are created the next time you start Illustrator."

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 15, 2019 0
Explorer ,
Mar 28, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

YES YES YES! This is happening to me! My tools just randomly MOVE or get hidden UNDER another tool! It just started...like a month or 2 ago. I've been using Illustrator [mac] since Illustrator #1...every day....this is WEIRD and so friggin' annoying. And god help you if you reset your tools.....DO NOT DO THAT....i did, and it f'ed everything up.

Please illustrator.....fix this bug.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 28, 2019 0
Community Beginner ,
Mar 28, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I should have updated this. I finally chatted with Creative Suite customer support. They remotely took over my computer and trashed loads of preference files, caches and a number of other files hidden away in my the library file. There's no way I could have ever figured out which ones to throwaway. After that the tool panel is behaving correctly again, although now photoshop has lost its tools.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 28, 2019 1
Explorer ,
Mar 28, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thanks. i'll contact them.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 28, 2019 0
Community Beginner ,
Mar 31, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Update. Problem has returned. Tools disappear. Window> Workspace > reset essentials classic will make the tools reappear but none of them will function. Clicking on layers, color, etc has no result.

Spent 4.5 hours with customer service. No results. It seems to be related in some way to having the application frame toggled on or off (Window > Application Frame).  I really can't stand the application frame so I always turn it off. In my work flow it is helpful to be able to quickly move an art board out of the way and see the desktop.

We tried everything. Uninstalled all CS apps (lost all my preferences, extensions and a handful of OTF fonts... sucks). We erased basically everything adobe off the computer via a adobe cleaner app the customer service person installed. We created two new user profiles on my computer and used clean installs of illustrator. Problem comes back immediately and seems to be more persistent. My tools keep getting locked out. No obvious work around I can find. Downloaded illustrator 2018 and am using that waiting for a fix.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 31, 2019 0
New Here ,
Apr 05, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello!

I'm having the same problem.

My toolbar disappears, can't change my workspace, it stays in Essential Classic.

I uninstalled illustrator, install it again, used an older version, and the issue still persists

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 05, 2019 0
Resources