Highlighted

Illustrator update 24.1.2 changed a lot of things????

New Here ,
May 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just recently updated to the latest version of illustrator and a lot of keyboard short cuts I used to use do not want to work anymore. These include the spacebar acting as the hand tool when held down. This feature is something I used very often and is very frustrating to see not working. Also another thing I have noticed is that with the polygon shape tool, I used to be able to use the up/down arrow keys to go from triangle, to hexagonal shapes and now those keys are not working. I am not sure how to make a triangle using this tool without the arrow keys. If anyone knows how I can revert this back, it would be really helpful. 

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by Monika Gause | Adobe Community Professional

Contact the people who make this other app and tell them their app interferes with others.

Topics

Bug, Draw and design, Performance, Tools

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Illustrator update 24.1.2 changed a lot of things????

New Here ,
May 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just recently updated to the latest version of illustrator and a lot of keyboard short cuts I used to use do not want to work anymore. These include the spacebar acting as the hand tool when held down. This feature is something I used very often and is very frustrating to see not working. Also another thing I have noticed is that with the polygon shape tool, I used to be able to use the up/down arrow keys to go from triangle, to hexagonal shapes and now those keys are not working. I am not sure how to make a triangle using this tool without the arrow keys. If anyone knows how I can revert this back, it would be really helpful. 

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by Monika Gause | Adobe Community Professional

Contact the people who make this other app and tell them their app interferes with others.

Topics

Bug, Draw and design, Performance, Tools

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Adobe Community Professional ,
May 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi.

Sometimes after updates, the Preferences file gets corrupted.

Try to reset your Preferences file. Here is how: https://astutegraphics.com/support/tutorials-and-troubleshooting/resetting-illustrator-preferences

Kind Regards

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If the spacebare does not work, shut doen all other applications on the computer. A lot of apps "steal" keypresses.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had problems in the past with the space bar (hand tool) and the issue was related to google chrome being open.. Think outside the box when you're trying to troubleshoot these problems. they may or may not be strictly illustrator issues.

as for reverting back to older versions of Illustrator, you can do that at any time in the creative cloud app. Find the app under the "Design and Layout" tab/category. then click the 3 dots at the bottom right corner of the illustrator "card". then click "Other Versions" and you can select from several previous versions to download and install.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
May 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah I find it interesting, when I went back to an earlier version the spacebar issue was fixed? So I am not sure. I will try closing Chrome but I feel like it has something to with the update. It has happened on multiple computers as well so I don’t know.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
May 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're right. I use Brave browser and I tried your tip and that's the problem. Once I quit Brave the space bar starts working again in Adobe Illustrator and Photoshop. Do you know if there's something to fix this?

Best

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
May 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi All,

Sorry to hear about your experience. We understand how frustrating this can be. We'll be happy to help. Would you mind sharing version of OS?
If you are using a macOS, you may check out this article(https://support.apple.com/en-in/guide/mac-help/mchlp2864/mac) from Apple and see if it helps.

Let us know how it goes.

Regards,

Ashutosh

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines