Illustrator User Guide?

Community Beginner ,
Mar 29, 2021 Mar 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any OLD Illustrator users here? I still think having a "User Guide" printed book is the easiest and fastest way to get help. I wish Adobe would go back to printing these books. Does anyone know of something equivelent to a user guide?

Adobe could slow down the updates and print user guides once a year or once every two years, it would still help. They could even sell it and I would buy it, as it used to come with the program. 

So far, I haven't been able to find the electronic version of any such source that is as easy to use, it used to take me seconds to find a solution. Now we have to go to a forum, post, wait and see. Or look up answers, search and search. 

Thanks.

TOPICS
How to, Tools

Views

translate

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

An old unfortunately, but the most recent one:

https://helpx.adobe.com/pdf/illustrator_reference.pdf

translate

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Gallucci Art wrote:

I wish Adobe would go back to printing these books. Does anyone know of something equivelent to a user guide?

Adobe made the decision to stop publishing the PDFs that we loved. In addition to the resource from Ton, Adobe suggests that you use the online help and thinks it is equivalent:

https://helpx.adobe.com/support/illustrator.html

translate

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are authors that try to compensate that gap with some instruction books.

Often it is a kind of funny business, because year after year weighty tomes are published for each new version of Illustrator, although a small booklet would be sufficient to explain some new features that were introduced in the most recent versions of Illustrator.

translate

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are authors that try to compensate that gap with some instruction books.

Often it is a kind of funny business, because year after year weighty tomes are published for each new version of Illustrator, although a small booklet would be sufficient to explain some new features that were introduced in the most recent versions of Illustrator.

By @Kurt Gold

And then all new users of Illustrator (who are the target audience for instruction books) would need to buy all the previous editions of those books in order to learn the complete application. And also they would need to go through all the editions in order to follow up which old chapter became outdated with the current version, because there is a better workflow available.

translate

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't think they would need to buy all of the tomes, Monika.

A basic and elaborate manual from time to time and some booklets beyond the basics when new features are introduced would be sufficient, as far as I can see.

translate

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A basic and elaborate manual from time to time

By @Kurt Gold

That's pretty much what is happening to most instruction books apart from the "Classroom in a book". That one has to be updated with every version, since it's the offical workbook for certified Adobe training centers. Other instruction books get a full update when an edition is sold.

translate

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I do understand and know that, Monika.

It is a dubious business nonetheless, in my eyes.

translate

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines